Hello from Westchester, NY

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by LisaO, Mar 18, 2010.

1. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Hi everybody. I just joined. I'm new to 4/3 but not to photography. I have been into photography for close to 40 years I started as a preteen. I just got a Lumix GF1 with the 20 1.7 and am looking forward to getting into photography again with it.

I also have Nikon and Leica kits along with lots of other photo gear and studio lighting. I used to do photography as a business but now it's mostly a hobby though some of my work involves teaching people digital photography principals.

I'm looking forward to participating here, reading posts and seeing everyone's work.
    One pet peeve is that I hate when people call a photograph a capture, I prefer, image, photo, picture, anything but capture which sounds to unartistic and mechanical.

• Like Like x 2
  2. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Hey Lisa, glad you found this place!:biggrin:

3. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  4. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    welcome...

I would never say that "C" word...

5. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Lisa, thanks for joining this wonderful forum.

6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Lisa, and welcome to the home of m4/3rds :friends:

You raise an interesting point about one word... and funnily enough I started to use 'capture' as an alternative to 'shot' when, on another forum someone complained that 'shot' implies that no thought or skill went into capturing the essence of a scene.

What I've realised is that we all have personal associations with certain words which become 'triggers' to remembered emotions... both good and bad, and I try to understand where the poster is coming from before 'going off on one' :biggrin:

Alternatively, I guess I could start my own forum and insist that everyone play by My rules :rofl: better to be more flexible I think :smile:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Yeah, G'day Lisa, from the Land Down Under. Welcome aboard!

Whaddya think if i said , "I captured a shot?":rofl:

Iconindustries

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Hello Lisa and welcome aboard! We're a motley crew here on mu43.com, but generally pretty good natured with a wide array in backgrounds. Glad you found your way here!

P.S. There's a nice number of us New Yorkers, too...and at least one fellow from CT, who we give a special NY dispensation too...:biggrin::wink:

9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Welcome Lisa,
    Capture. This is a very interesting word. I think words have little meaning as far as the end result goes. Call it what you will, the result is all that matters and the journey to get there.
    Shooter

• Like Like x 2
  10. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Thanks everybody!

I can deal with the "C" word. Just thought I'd point it out though.:rolleyes:

11. Enrique

Enrique Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    spain
    Wellcome Lisa, you arrived to the right place :smile: