Hello from Virginia

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by foxtail1, Mar 9, 2012.

1. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I'm a new µ4/3 owner. (So far) I have a Panasonic G3 with Lumix 45-200 mm and 14-42 mm lenses. I'm gathering information on what my best macro lens choice will be, as wildlife and macro shots are my favorites. This forum has such a wealth of information, and it's already inspired me to look at other shooting options.

I got into photography as a hobby back in the pre-programmable SLR era (Canon AE-1). I spent some years with that camera and concentrating on underwater photography with another camera (early Sea & Sea with external strobe), but got out of the hobby for some years. Early last year, I bought a Nikon Coolpix P100 and got hooked again.

When I decided to move up to a camera with lens choices, µ4/3 seemed a great choice. I really did not want the size/weight or expense of a DSLR (though I'm finding that the expenses are similar :rolleyes:). I chose the Lumix after much online research. I'm in southwest Virginia, and there just are not many places to try different cameras. (For "not many" you can read Best Buy or discount chains like Target.) I chose the G3 model for the viewfinder. I don't know if it's because I'm old-school, but I "see" the shot much better through a viewfinder than I do on a view screen.

I look forward to being part of this community and to learning from everyone!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    The G3 is a good choice. Remember that Olympus is coming out with a new camera that should very well be the best µ4/3 ever, the OM-D EM-5. You may just want to wait until the end of the month when the new Oly becomes available.

As for lenses, on the cheap for under $100 you can get an older, 55mm, f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor and adapter. I've had very good luck with the Micro-Nikkor and discovered that manually focusing a macro lens does not diminish the photographic experience.

If money is no objection, then the Panasonic-Leica 45mm f/2.8 macro is an exceptional lens.

55mm Micro-Nikkor

• Like Like x 1
  3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Welcome from central Virginia!

You have some good options for macroin m43. Not only is the the excellent Leica PL 45mm macro available but Olympus is coming out with a 60mm this year.

Adapted lenses open the door to numerous, albeit manual, options. I have an adapted 50mm Olympus macro and a 100mm Micro-Nikkor that I love.
  4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Your a spy, aren't you? I'll be watching you!:cool:
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    And welcome from Northern Virginia.

This is a very good forum. Unlike that other "big" forum, people stay civil here, and are more interested in being helpful than critical.
  6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Welcome aboard!
  7. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Welcome from southeast Virginia! Nice setup you have so far; share some pics!

8. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    Always good to have more Virginians in the group. I'm from the other far corner of the state, but I was just in Bristol about a month ago. Welcome.
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum!

The Panasonic 45mm macro is stunning. A nice dual purpose lens for candids as well.