Hello from Virginia!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Duh_Vinci, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Duh_Vinci

Duh_Vinci Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Hello everyone!

Newbie here from Virginia... Cool forum, lurked for a little, tons of M4/3 info (appreciate all the readings)!

DSLR is getting a little heavy at times, so I wanted a compact something. After giving Fuji X10 a go for a month, just didn't quite sit with me... Purchased E-P1 kit few weeks ago with 17mm f2.8 and enjoy this little thing very much.

I've never been a "wide shooter" (though I do get out every once in a while for some landscapes), so this little lens is a little of a learning curve for me, but very pleasant experience. I think paired up with 45mm f1.8 would make me a very happy light traveler.

Cheers all!
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome congrats on getting ur new toy . If u won MFT camera then this is the perfect place to be . OLympus P1 is a perfect camera and 17 mm 2.8 is a very goof lens . Now coming back to Olympus 45 mm 1.8 , Its a real gem . Its a must have lens for every MFT shooter and If u don't like wide ones then this may be the one for u .Hope to see some of ur shots soon here .

Now check this out for Olympus 45 mm 1.8

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Welcome! I live in Midlothian myself and have found the m43 cameras be the perfect size for hiking up on the Blue Ridge.
  4. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    welcome! I also have an E-PL1 but use my E-P1 much more-- the controls and handling are really nice. The 17mm lens is also my favourite (of what I could afford... sure, I'd love a 25/1.4 or 25/0.95, but...)
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Welcome. Where in Virginia?

- Bob in Fairfax
  6. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
  7. Duh_Vinci

Duh_Vinci Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Thank you all for the welcome words, appreciate it indeed!

Narnian - indeed, these little cameras are excellent choice to carry around "all the time"... Particularly for hiking, and Blue Ridge line is exceptional scenery! I try to get out to Skyline Drive at least once a year, mostly in the fall to catch the colors.

Avidon - my initial thought was to get E-PL1, at least based on out of the camera jpegs comparisons posted on few sites, but the lack of direct access to those 3-4 settings I'm use to on DSLR pointed me to E-P1, and honestly, I'm glad I ended up it. It is a little bigger, just fits a little better in my hand (or so it seems).

In terms of overall handling, I can't really complain about anything, but what makes it even more comfortable for me is a thumb grip (originally purchased for X10), but fits perfectly onto E-P1's hot shoe. And having both 2 dials for manual exposure - love it!

Bob - actually not too far away from you, near Frederickbsurg (Culpeper/Orange area)

8. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I also vacillated in the beginning between the E-P1 and E-PL1 and ended up grabbing an E-PL1 because of OOC pic quality and possibility of using flash occasionally... and I was very happy with it as my start in the mu4/3 world (indeed in the serious digital camera world, since my last serious camera before that was a Pentax MX around 1980)

a few months later, I had a chance to grab an E-P1 at a good price and once I got it I loved it so much that I hardly ever grab the E-PL1 any more. Not only are the controls much nicer, I like the way it feels in my hands and the auto-WB is MUCH better.

personally I do not miss the flash as I prefer to shoot available light and only even tried the flash on the E-PL1 a couple of times

at higher ISO, the E-P1 has a BIT more noise in the darker areas, but the difference is marginal-- from either camera I would make some PP noise reduction in high ISO keepers; but the better colours and auto WB have made me have more keepers, especially of those taken in unusual and low lighting
  9. Welcome From the Big D metroplex. Virginia is neat. Would reccomend a photo drive about of Port Royal (think non-commercialized Williamsburg cohort) and the Fighter Factory in Va. Beach/Suffolk, Va.
    The first a step back into the 1750s and the latter a step back to the 1930s Russian aviation and 1930s through 40s American and British.

Welcome to Historic Port Royal, Inc.

Fighter Factory | Fighter Factory
  10. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    Greetings and a welcome from another fellow Virginian (also in Fairfax). You're in a beautiful part of the state. Just gotta watch out for earthquakes (who would have guessed?).
  11. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    hello and welcome. i'm a fellow virginian and ep1 shooter as well.
  12. Duh_Vinci

Duh_Vinci Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Thank you all for the welcomes and glad to see many Virginian's here on the forum!