Hello from Vancouver!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Kiyohiko, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Kiyohiko

Kiyohiko Mu-43 Rookie

Hello everyone!

I'm not a micro 4/3 owner (yet!), but I'm seriously looking into getting a Lumix GF1 with the 20mm lens.
    I find my Canon 7D too bulky and heavy to take out everywhere I go, and that 20mm f/1.7 really appeals to me...!
    If the price drops a bit more, I'll pull the trigger :)
    I've been debating whether I should buy a new Canon lens, or the GF1, and honestly was leaning towards the lens. After reading through this forum, I've changed my mind :D

There's just a few more questions I haven't found answers for yet...

-I heard the battery life sucks. Made a search on ebay, and they are fairly cheap. Are the non-Panasonic ones safe to use?

-Does anyone use a 4/3 just for 1 lens? I can't see myself buying any of the other ones, as they are around the same price as lenses for my 7D.

-Canon adapters on ebay seem very cheap. Are they safe to use? I'm assuming they are, seems like there're no electrical connectors. That's why IS and AF won't work, am I correct?

-Where are you guys buying cases for this camera? I only found some on ebay, but they mostly look the same.

anyways, this is becoming more of a question thread than an introduction...

I'm looking forward to getting into mu4/3 and be a part of this forums :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Welcome aboard, fellow Vancouverite.

I'll try to help with a few questions:

-The Canon (and other adapters besides the m4/3 to 4/3) are safe. They're simply machined metal mounts that allow you to screw in the lens. Yep, no electronics.

-I believe Panasonic uses batteries with chips that prevent non-official ones to be used iirc.

-As for using one lens...one could. but where's the fun in that. We'll see if you can stop at just one. :p

• Like Like x 1
  3. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    • Like Like x 1
  4. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome and hello from Scotland :smile: The GF1 is a great camera, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you buy one. I don't have a GF1, but have a G1, but I wouldn't say that the battery life is a problem.

All the best,

Colin

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Kiyohiko, it seems to me that you've already gotten some good answers here. Not everyone is diligent about reading the Welcomes forum, so if you need more please check out the Panasonic forum for more on the GF1.

Glad to have you aboard and have fun making your decisions. Keep us posted!:biggrin:

7. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi
    Welcome.

What are your expectations for decent battery life? I have yet to be disappointed with the life of my GF1 battery. A day of serious shooting, including using the EVF, seems to be no serious issue, at least for my style.

8. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello and welcome here !

9. Kiyohiko

Kiyohiko Mu-43 Rookie

After a month of pondering everyday, I've pulled the trigger: just ordered my GF1! Can't wait!!