Hello from Vancouver BC

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by elpanda, Feb 22, 2011.

1. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    Hello there, I'm Jacques, currently living in Vancouver but originally from France.

I recently discovered the possibilities offered by this new format and definitely buying one of these cameras in the near future :)

I currently have my eyes on the new E-PL2 with the 14-45 kit lens and a Panasonic 20mm/f1.7 as it seems to be the best combo at the moment. I'm pretty much waiting for it to be available in Vancouver, it seems like FutureShop should have it by March and Black's have no idea, sometimes in Spring they say!

I have wanted a DSLR for quite some times now, but I always found them to be too bulky for me to carry around, the E-PL2 seems like the perfect size as it could fit snuggly in my laptop bag (not that I would leave it in the bag for too long :-d).
    So far I've sticked with compacts, with models being more and more powerful and full featured. The latest I got, about a year ago, was the Lumix ZS7, which takes awesome pictures for a point and shoot (I attached a few of my favorite shots that I took with it). I think that I'm going to regret the flexibility of the lens which 25mm wide angle and 12X zoom, plus a very handy "extreme-close-up-macro" mode that look surprisingly good as well as the GPS, which is great when you tend to travel quite a bit! Any ideas if Olympus is going to come up with one for the E-PL2?

I hope to contribute soon with better photos, in the meantime I'll be reading more informations about the different cameras, lenses, etc. And will watch all of your photos while dreaming that I'll take the same ones soon ;-)

Fun with the zoom in Victoria, BC

P1000619.JPG

Valley of Fire, near Las Vegas, NV
    P10201631.

The much smaller Eiffel tower of Las Vegas, NV
    P1020238.

Somewhere around the Grand Canyon, AZ
    P1020316.JPG

Monument Valley, UT
    P1020510.JPG

Near Monument Valley, UT
    P1020716.

• Like Like x 5
  2. syilim

syilim Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2011
    Hey Jacques!

I was virtually on the same boat as you. I had always used point*shoot myself, and my last one was ZS3! So I know exactly how you feel about leaving that little machine behind! Honestly, I didn't give that camera enough credit when I first had it, as I never realised how good of a camera it really was. But learning about Micro 4/3rds, I knew I had to hop on aboard!! So I got myself the E-pl2 2 or so weeks ago. LOVING IT!!! It definitely takes better pictures than my ZS3, and has made photography so much more fun for me!

Judging from your photos, I'm sure you'll make good use with the E-pl2. I mean, those are some awesome pictures with the ZS7. Don't think I had any pictures as good as those =S.

I'm from Uk but current in Vancouver visiting my GF. I brought one of the first batch of E-pl2 that was available at Kerrisdale Cameras shop. $599 + HST for the E-pl2/14-42 kit.
    Its actually cheaper to buy it from online even with delivery though. Both B&H and Adorama is currently selling for $549. Delivery will be around $45 (that was how much i paid when I ordered a few things from Adorama, and it only took 2 days to be delivered!). So you'll be saving yourself roughly $60. Hope this helps!

Henry

• Like Like x 1
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Jacques.

• Like Like x 1
  4. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    Thanks for the kind words :)

To be fair I think the camera did 90% of the job with the correct settings :-D
    Its only downside, as per usual with compacts, is the quality in low light, mostly when indoor. I can somehow manage to get fairly ok pictures outdoor, but the camera seems to be baffled by artificial indoor lighting, and I hate to have to use the flash!

The online prices look interesting, but I managed to convince myself that I NEED the camera by tomorrow! So I think I'll shell out the extra $50 if Kerrisdale Cameras has it in stock when I call them in the morning and I'll pick up a 16GB Class 10 SDHC card in the process :-d

I literally can't wait to be tomorrow, I think I won't be able to sleep tonight :-D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Roark

Roark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I just received my E-PL2 a few days ago. I love it and I am sure you will love it also. I originally bought the E-PL1, not realizing that their was a new one in the works a couple of weeks ago. I was able to craigslist it for the same price I paid for it. Now all I have to do is wait for my panny 20mm to get here...

Welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Jacques, we're all going to be on the edge of our seats until we hear back from you! Please promise to charge that battery ASAP and then post some of your photos with your E-PL2!

Thanks so much for your great introduction - with photos and for sharing your journey to the :43: side of things here with us.:thumbup:

7. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello Elpanda,

Welcome to the forum.

Great post!

Cheers, form New England

8. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

Don't forget to check out London Drugs either, Jacques ... a great camera department. their web site is even taking orders for the Pentax 645D.....

9. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    I just checked it out, they only have the E-PL1 so far.
    It doesn't matter though, because I just bought the E-PL2 at Kerrisdale Cameras :-D They where out of the one with the 14-42 only though, so I got the kit with the 14-42 and the 40-150mm. I'm sure the longer lens will come in handy when I travel.

So far, so good, I just need to get used to a more complete camera than what I had before though, which is going to take some time. But I love it already, it really looks the business in black :-d

• Like Like x 1
  10. syilim

syilim Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2011
    Congrats on your new purchase!

11. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    Hey all! It's been a while since I updated my impressions on the E-PL2!

So, what do I think about that wonderful camera since I bought it in February? Well, I love it!
    I've bought quite a few lenses and accessories since then: In addition to the 14-42mm II and the 40-150mm, I got Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 (which is now pretty much my main lens), a pinwide (which I haven't used much, to be honest) and I picked up a nice Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 with extension tube + m4/3 adapter on ebay.

I posted quite a few pictures in that thread!

I love the compactness of the camera with the 20mm f/1.7 and the awesome quality of the shots I can get with it! I also think I've become addicted with buying more lenses and accessories for it, I originally bought the MCON-P01 macro adapter thinking that it would be all I would ever need for macro photography, but before even receiving it I was already on ebay bidding on the Nikkor lens... I also got the pinwide pretty much at the same time!

Coming from a pretty much full auto point & shoot, I didn't think I'd be able to adapt that easily to something that I use mainly in aperture priority, in which I setup the white balance manually and use manual focus on the Nikkor lens... But I have to admit that I'm loving it so far!

Also, weirdly seeing the camera I'm coming from, I love the concept of fixed focal lenses like the Panny 20mm or the Nikkor 55mm, I love the fact that I have to adapt to the focal length and have to actually walk take the photo rather than just twist the lens or push a button to take it. I especially like setting the aperture on the Nikkor, it feels strangely satisfying to get a photo right when you know you've done most of the job yourself!

Anyway, I love this thing and can't wait to get my hands on the new Oly 45mm f/1.8 when it becomes available :-d

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    It's great to hear you are happy with your purchase.