1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from Toronto

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Harpax, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Harpax

Harpax New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2010
    Hey,
    I've been stalking the forums for about a month now, and finally got my Olympus E-P2 this week, so now is the time for me to start posting a bit.

Who am I?
    1-I'm from Montreal, now living in Toronto
    2-I'm a videogame developer
    3-I'm a big Canon fanatic (5D MKII, 35L, 85L, 24-70L, 70-200L)
    4-I'm starting in M43 format since it's smaller and easier to carry
    5-I'm mostly into family pictures, with the secret dream of doing more street photography when I have more time (see point #2 as of why)
    6-I'm really curious in exploring the legacy lenses on my E-P2
    7-I love playing in Lightroom with the PRESETS

Attached are my first pics:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Welcome Max to the best mu4/3rds site on the internet.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey Max
    Welcome.
    I'm from just north of you.
    You're gonna have fun with that combination of gear and interests...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Harpax

Harpax New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2010
    Cool! Thx Pelao. What legacy glass do You have?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a Konica 40/1.8 and a Canon FD 50/1.4

I managed to get both on eBay for reasonable prices. Quite honestly I did not know what to expect in terms of the shooting experience, and the results.

Basically the manual focus process with my GF1 is a breeze technically. What I have had to do is learn to trust my own ability to judge focus. I have not done much manual focus for years. It's been fun, and in some ways the photographs feel more crafted because I have more input, more responsibility than with AF. I love the output of the lenses. Search around this forum and you will see some samples - there are a few in my gallery.

I'll confess I also simply like the look and feel of these lenses. They feel carefully designed and built. Like someone cared.

I suspect that the IBIS of your EP2 will be very helpful with lenses like these, allowing more opportunity for sharp hand held shots.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome Max, and hello from Scotland. I like your photos - I go for a similar high key look in portraits myself. I have an e-p1, and a G1 with the oly f2.8, 17mm and optical viewfinder, and the 14-42 pany kit lens. I'm also using OM fit lenses and Canon FD lenses. I find focus easier with the G1's EVF, but it's not so hard with the pen.

All the best,

Colin

7. Harpax

Harpax New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2010
    Ah thats cool. Do you know if there are M43 groups in TOronto? I would not mind meeting guys with legacy lenses to check them out.

8. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Funny, I was just wondering the same thing. I don't know of any. Got me thinking...

9. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Max.

10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Max, thanks for your intro and for your photographs of your family! Family photographs are probably the most important long term photos anyone could make - in my not so humble opinion. Don't get me wrong - the other sorts of photographs are very important, too.

There's a big Adapted Lenses forum here, as you know - so make yourself at home.:grouphug:

11. yogz

yogz Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 8, 2010
    Hi Max, im from TO, and have lots of legacy glass for m43. I wouldn't mind showing to you.

12. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Welcome

Max, welcome, and you've got some really good first shots with your E-PL1. This is a really great forum, the members are a helpful bunch, and I really enjoy the different discussion topics.

I got into :43: for similar reasons, and while it has taken some getting used to framing with an LCD using legacy manual focus lenses on my E-P1, I have been very happy with the experience thus far. It is great to be able to use my old Olympus OM lenses, as well as a lens from my Olympus Pen-F, and some Leica Rangefinder glass. After a few weeks trying out various combinations, I've settled on a basic kit composed of the Pen F Olympus 38mm F1.8 as my "normal" (in 35mm film terms) lens, a Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 as my wide, and a Leica Elmar 90mm F 3.5 as my tele. They are all light and small, and I can carry the lenses in my coat pockets. The only drawbacks so far on the 15mm and 90mm are the lack of contrast when used in certain lighting conditions and the small maximum aperture. Enjoy your E-PL1!

3_lens_kit.

13. Harpax

Harpax New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2010
    BBW: I could not agree more!
    Yogz: I might take you on that!
    PENFAN: I just got the panny 20mm and I have to say that up to now I'm really impressed. Focal length is good, AF is fast enough, and the f/1.7 makes me happy. It's actually making me reconsider going to legacy glass... For now anyways... :)

14. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Shots on your Panny 20mm

Max, would love to see images from the 20mm. Am still debating whether to get the Oly 17 or the Panny for the compactness and AF--I have to admit my old eyes have a hard time focusing manually on the LCD sometimes. Look forward to your first-hand report (to add to the many great ones already on the forum).