Hello from TN

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by mrjr, Oct 29, 2012.

1. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Hi,
    I'm Jonathan, or JR, and since I've been lurking here for some time, I decided I did introduce myself and start contributing. I already love this community: not a lot of silly, alpha male drama and flaming, just a bunch of people having fun. It reminds me of my favorite paintball forum from years ago.

Photography has been an interest for several years, and I bought my first micro 4/3 camera seven weeks ago. It arrived a day late for the birth of our daughter -- our first -- but you can be sure I've been wearing it out ever since. I went with the Panasonic G3 because it seems to be the best value in micro 4/3 right now. (Now I'm wishing I had gone with the GX1 for its styling and extra *metal* buttons.)

I quickly realized that I wanted better portrait capacity, so within a week I bought an O45, which I absolutely love. Then, within another week I bought the P20 for those indoor shots of two people (mommy and baby) in smaller rooms. I like it but the focal length is weird: it feels too wide indoors and too narrow outdoors. A couple weeks ago I picked up an S7.5 for landscapes and for fun and also a P45-200 for wildlife. I may sell the latter for a P14 since I like the wide side (28mm FOV is very familiar ground) and don't see myself actually using the tele zoom all that much (it was a cheap impulse buy). That's the boring gear-related stuff that nobody should care about; but I had/have pretty bad GAS.

I've used it in a variety of situations, from portraiture to hiking and landscapes. So far, I'm generally pleased, but I've noticed the white balance and color cast are hit-or-miss. The threads on this forum have been helpful for learning better settings for outdoor, although I'll need some more work to get consistently good results indoors in mixed lighting. Any tips for Panasonic shooters, there? Probably iA mode for now unless I have time to pick settings carefully, which seems unlikely since my main subject is seven weeks old. :)

Anyway, that was unnecessarily long-winded. See you around.

JR

• Like Like x 1
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hi JR, welcome and glad you decided to de-lurk! Congratulations on fatherhood - that's why I started to get excited about photography in the first place.

As far as white balance/color cast, I recommend trying RAW and specifically Adobe Lightroom. It's not for everyone, but for sure it will solve all issues related to white balance and color cast.

I wish I had the RAW files from my kids' baby pictures. It really is like keeping the negatives to a film shoot.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome and congratulations! :2thumbs:

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hey JR, welcome to the forum and parenthood. Kids are awesome, (interesting how much time you can spend watching a sleeping infant).

The FOV of the 20mm and the 14mm are very close (like a step or two difference). I strongly recommend you look at the more expensive 12mm in lieu of the 14mm.

Gary

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Hi JR. Welcome to the forum.

6. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Hi JR.Hope you enjoy your time here!Welcome to the forum!

7. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Welcome to the forum Jonathan !