1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Hello from the White Mountains

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by vintageslrs, Dec 14, 2010.

1. vintageslrs

vintageslrs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Well, where to begin?
    Camera and photography guy since 1973 when I was 19.....where did all that time go?
    Have been seriously collecting vintage SLR's and their lenses for the last 20 years.
    My wife also maintains her own collection of the same.
    My collection of lenses is over 170.....
    I suppose I have held out long enough, refusing to buy a digital camera with interchangeable lenses till now. Have stuck with film as medium of choice till now.
    With that collection of excellent glass......the appeal of an affordable 4/3 digital seemed to finally make sense.
    So, I purchased 2--Panasonic Lumix G1's...one for me and one for my wife.
    She will get her's on Christmas. Waiting for one of the two to arrive and a few adaptors also.
    I've read all the positives and all the negatives of using legacy glass on these cameras. So, I know what I am getting into-lol.
    I hope this will be a positive experience and allow us to enjoy our vintage lenses even more.
    Oh, and by the way I am a co-owner of the Camera Collectors Board The Camera Collector - Home and the owner of the vintageslrs yahoo group vintageslrs : Vintage SLRs and a moderator on the Mamiya 35mm Forum Mamiya 35mm Forum - Home and the owner and data keeper of the newly revived Pentax M42 Forum/Database Pentax M42 database & forum - Home .

Happy to be here.

Bob

• Like Like x 6
  2. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Bob -
    You will love the G1. I am an old Nikon user since the days of the FM-2. The G1 has a nifty way of "zooming in" at the touch of a button for manual focussing vintage lenses and the electronic view finder is large and high resolution. It makes manual focus extremely accurate and effective. Once you have focussed, just touch the shutter button and you are back at normal view and can take the picture. Pretty amazing. My old little Nikkor 50mm f1.8 becomes an extremely light weight and sharp 100mm f1.8.

• Like Like x 2
  3. vintageslrs

Dec 13, 2010
    pjohngren--Thank you very much for the tip.
    I am excited to get to it and start using it!

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Bob, I'm very glad to have you here and perhaps your wife will join us, as well, after her Christmas present?:biggrin:

I've no doubt that you'll find a home away from home in the Adapted Lenses forum. Looking forward to your photographs, Bob. Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself!:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. vintageslrs

Dec 13, 2010
    BBW-Thank you for the warm welcome!
    Yes, it is indeed possible, Sherri will join us after Christmas.
    I am still waiting for adaptors and one of the two G1's to arrive.
    I am a little intimidated by the electronics and the operation
    and software.....but I'm sure it will all work out.
    Since Sherri's is a Christmas gift....it kinda makes mine a secret
    till Christmas also. But hopefully right after the holiday we will
    get to figuring all that out and then to begin to post some
    experimental photos.

all the best
    Bob

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome and hello from Scotland.

All the best,

Colin

7. vintageslrs

Dec 13, 2010
    Hello and thank you, Colin!

I like your "strings" photo!

8. Burkey

Burkey Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2010
    Northern New England
    Hi Bob - welcome. You'll really enjoy the G1. I have one, it's a great camera. Hey are you in the White Mountains as in New Hampshire? We're over in Vermont, as in the Green Mountains, although they are very white right now.:wink:
    . . . Burkey

9. vintageslrs

Dec 13, 2010
    Hello Burkey

Thanks.
    Yes we are in New Hampshire as in the White Mountains.
    And you are our neighbor as in Vermont...the Green Mountains.
    And the funny thing is sometimes the White Mountains are green and the
    Green Mountins are white!
    Appreciate the welcome---nice place and nice people!

Bob

10. vintageslrs

Dec 13, 2010
    Well, Christmas finally arrived and Sherri got her G1 and her M42 adaptor and memory card and card reader.....surprised her--Yes!
    She is pretty excited about it and using many of her legacy lenses.
    Sherri has joined this forum but has not introduced herself yet....I'm sure she will soon.
    When we were getting her G1 set up, we could not get passed the "Please check that the lens is attached properly" message. I had forgotten about the "shoot without lens" setting...from when I set mine up. Once we took care of that we were good.
    We are loving the cameras and this forum.

Bob

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Welcome from Boston. Let's see some shots! :)

12. vintageslrs

Dec 13, 2010
    WT21-Thanks!

More Pics? Will be coming....after all the snow is cleaned up!

Bob

13. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    Welcome aboard Bob!
    look forward to seeing some shots from you and Sherri :)
    Good luck with your G1s and hope you enjoy your time on this forum!

14. vintageslrs

Dec 13, 2010
    Thank you Kosta!
    We like the G-1's and like this forum very much.

Liked your horse statue pix and your motor pix on flickr!

Bob

15. Best of luck with the new G1s. With 170 legacy lenses to choose from you shouldn't tire of them anytime soon! Do you have any 'highlights' in the collection?

16. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Bob and Sherri please don't wait for the snow to clear to take pictures, as I love snow shots.

17. vintageslrs

Dec 13, 2010
    Thanks Nic!
    Right now I put a Super Takumar 28mm f3.5 on my M42 adaptor and a Hexanon 40mm f1.8 on my Konica adaptor and a Rokkor 58mm f1.4 on my Minolta MC/MD adaptor. I think that gives me decent coverage from 56mm to 80mm to 116mm......on the micro 4/3 format. That will have to do...since affording 14mm anything, is out of the question for me.

Once we get all this snow mess behind us...I will take a few photos of some of the vintage cameras and lenses...they are spread out in several different places....:eek:

Bob

18. vintageslrs

Dec 13, 2010
    Hello Grant

The snow has stopped now......I have snowblowered the driveway.
    Once the wind (gusts up to 50mphMPH) stops, I'll take a couple of snow pics for your enjoyment. You must get plenty of snow where you are?

Bob

19. vintageslrs

Dec 13, 2010
    Grant--love your wreath on the red door photo!

20. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Hi Bob

We do get snow and for the most part winter it looks like a Hallmark moment in Nova Scotia. I have posted an image on my flicker of this sever storm and how it affected us pleased don't throw tomatoes.

Thank you for the comment on my door. It is indeed this colour but cameras tend to make it look a bit flatter. The in camera trick I use to pump colour is to expose correctly then shoot -2/3 EV.