Hello from the Washington, DC area!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by seventysixersfan, Aug 11, 2016.

1. seventysixersfan

seventysixersfan Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2016
    Alexandria, VA
    Brian
    I recently found out about this wonderful forum of micro four thirds users. It reminds me in many ways of another forum that I frequent for Pentax shooters. I am an amateur photographer, primarily interested in taking photos of my kids (two under age 6), my wife, and my huge 120-pound dog, on family vacations as well as at home or kid-related activities around town. I got my start with DSLR photography back in 2010 when I got a Pentax K-x camera, and in the past six years, I've built up my K-mount lens collection. But I have always been intrigued by mirrorless cameras and so I took the plunge earlier this summer and got myself a Panasonic GM1, which I love. Two months later, I got an Olympus E-P5 for the tilting screen and in-body stabilization. I use both cameras interchangeably, depending on the situation and the lens I want to shoot with. I have not switched systems, as I still use my Pentax gear a lot. But I'm trying to pick the right situation to use my DSLR and my M/43 cameras. I'm also enjoying using a lens adapter that allows me to use my Pentax lenses on my GM1 and E-P5; manual focus is more challenging when I've been so reliant on auto-focusing, but it's still awesome that I can use my other system's glass on my mirrorless bodies.

Anyway, glad to be part of this forum, and look forward to participating!

2. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Welcome, Brian! Glad to see another NoVA member!

• Like Like x 1
  3. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Welcome,
    I owned an E-P5 for a while and loved that camera.

The only problem with the forum is that the hot deals section has cost me a fortune for lenses that I love but probably don't need.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    You can start with some 120 lb. dog pictures (Wow!). :Welcome:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. seventysixersfan

Jun 24, 2016
    Alexandria, VA
    Brian
    Thanks everyone! And Chris, I know what you mean about hot deals -- those 20% off olympus refurbs are a killer for my wallet!! (PS, hope you were not affected too badly by the flood in Ellicott City)

Yep, I can barely get him in the frame-- need to use my 9-18mm to fit him all in!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Thanks for asking. I live in Ellicott City but my neighborhood is about 400 feet up from the low lying historic downtown area. I new it was raining hard but had no idea a flash flood was taking place in the city.

Not to hijack the thread but here are some photos I took the next morning on a bike ride around Ellicott City. I could not get into town, it was closed off for safety reasons and is still closed as of now almost two weeks later. These photos are from the edge of town and surrounding area.

https://cboyd.smugmug.com/2016/ECFlood/n-XQGwT3/

• Like Like x 1
  7. seventysixersfan

Jun 24, 2016
    Alexandria, VA
    Brian
    Wow, those are some stunning and heartbreaking images you captured there. Can't believe all the devastation! Hopefully things will be rebuilt soon, but wow, what catastrophic damage to a historic town!

• Agree Agree x 1