Hello from the uk !

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by 5tatman, Mar 10, 2014.

1. 5tatman

5tatman Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 10, 2014
    Ashton Under Lyne
    Just thought I pop on say hi, and see what gives :smile:

I haven't really been taking photo's 'proper' until recently but felt I need better pictures to show my services so started teaching myself bit's and pieces. Upgraded from my Bridge Olympus SP-500UZ to a G1 3/4 years ago now. then to G2. I was then going to shuffle upto the G3 but nothing I've read really says it's worth it, so hanging fire on that for now.
    Because of my job (Wedding DJ & Event Lighting) I try to get good shots in dark situations to show potential customer the lighting and people having a good time, without washing everything out a flash - Eaiser said than done, but I'm getting there.......

As mentioned initial Camera (G1) purchase was for business, but started to get the bug and starting to take the G2 with me more. Not quite habit yet, but still getting those "wish I brought my camera " moments :frown:

Anyway I'm here to learn, ask questions then share, and I look forward to the journey :)
  2. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Welcome aboard. I still think the G2 is my fave m43 body.
  3. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Howdo from a fellow Brit. This is a great forum. Everyone is very helpful.
  4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Welcome to the forum.
    If the majority of your shooting is in low light situations then you would benefit from one of the newest cameras which have better low light capabilities. This is an area where cameras are still making big improvements.
    The biggest gain would of corse be the more expensive but I managed to pick up a used G5 for a reasonable price (<£250) last september. I don't see any advantage to you from a single model step here.
    Another thing that might be useful to you is a faster lens. Again this can get expensive but there are lesser models that give enough improvement to be worthwhile costing less than £100 used.

I know those 'wish I had my camera moments' well I even had one at lunch today where it was in the boot of the car but to far away to grab before the oportunity flew off...
  5. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Welcome to the forum,

Having recently done a family fancy dress 60th birthday party I know what you mean about trying to get people and lighting in balance.

Perhaps a more powerful flash bounced might give you a better balance.

As you are reasonably local to myself I could pop along during a set up and bring a G3, Oly EM-5, 25mm F1.8, 45mm F1.8 and Nissin Di466 for you to try if that might help.

When I get home I will try and find a suitable example.
  6. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Welcome, new UK members are always welcome.
  7. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Welcome from another UK member. People are very friendly and helpful here!
  8. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    welcome!! yay!! another UK member!! :biggrin:
  9. 5tatman

5tatman Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 10, 2014
    Ashton Under Lyne
    Thanks for all the Hi's - Much appreciated.
    Here is one of my websites- Give you some idea of where I'm at regarding taking pictures for the my events. http://weddingdjservices.co.uk/wedding-lighting/venue-uplighting/
    I'm not too bad (i think) at the coloured uplighting. Just the dancefloor now i need to work on for busness stuff. Dancefloor is either too dark too bright. Especially when trying to get a 1st dance shot. I do have a flash gun as well - Olympus FL36. I try not to use for the lighting pictures, more the dancefloor, but as each venue is different it's hard to get a average setting. grrrrr.

wasOM3user :- Thanks for the kind offer, Not sure if it will be possible as I do all over, but willing to work with you if you fancy it. Cheers. :)

Anyways, catch ya'll around the boards :thumbup: