Hello from the San Francisco peninsula

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by deirdre, Aug 9, 2010.

1. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I recently bought a GF-1 with the 20mm pancake lens. I've also ordered a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4, but haven't gotten it yet. I see no sign of stopping.

I used to have a Nikon (film) SLR, don't ask me what model, it was a long time ago. I also had a Mamiya 6, which is a really sweet camera. I sold them about 15 years ago, and only after committing to significant lenses on the Nikon did I realize I really wanted faster lenses. The Mamiya only had three possible lenses, and they weren't as fast as I wanted either.

This time, I decided to go fast first and go with two primes. I love zooms, am used to them, and will quite possibly regret not having one on vacation, so it'll be interesting to see how long I can hold out without one. :)

I gave away my old point-and-shoot, a Canon SD 700 IS, so you can imagine I'm really impressed with the GF-1.

Oh, and my camera's PINK. Well, not that shade of pink, but the pink was important. I like my items to stand out from the crowd. I know this makes me shallow, but there ya go.

I've considered picking up an EPL1 in blue as well, maybe getting the zoom on it. Who knows.

Three pictures from the GF-1:

Normally, I'd have changed the focus area, but we were at a cat rescue shelter and the cat wasn't cooperating:
    [​IMG]

Jasmine from our garden:
    [​IMG]

I also collect fountain pens, so I try to take photos of my pens to document them. This one's a Ferrari da Varese, made from sterling silver and mother of pearl.
    [​IMG]

Alll shot in JPEG and uploaded to Flickr in actual size. Next time I'll use the polishing cloth on the silver before taking the picture. :)

• Like Like x 4
  2. DDG

DDG Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2010
    Hello. Those are nice pictures, but I'm just surprised that Confederate Jasmine is still in bloom where you are. Lucky.

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Welcome deirdre and thanks for posting some of your photos right away! Did you end up bringing a rescued cat home with you? Beautiful eyes on that one.

Your fountain pen, in particular, is quite lovely - in the larger size the mother of pearl really sings!

Glad to have you here and I look forward to your involvement across the board!

4. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    We did bring a rescued cat home, but not yesterday. We lost our elder cat over the weekend, and we had previously gotten him a companion kitty from the rescue shelter. So now she's our only cat. She's very shy, and I haven't caught her with the new camera yet!

Our elder cat was on heart medications, so we took them to the rescue place for the vets there to use since they shelter cats with extensive medical problems and run on donations only. Two of the medications were on-patent human meds (in low doses, of course), so they were costly. We also brought catnip that we grow in our greenhouse. We were veeerrrry popular!

I've not learned a lot (yet) about getting good photos from product photography like the pens, but I'm going to take a lighting class that'll hopefully help. I have a small photo cube setup, but someone hid one of my lights and both of my light stands, so I had to improvise.

5. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    Here's what I've got as of today. Haven't taken the Canon lens out yet because I'm waiting for the adapter to arrive:

[​IMG]

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Deirdre, I'm very sorry about your elder cat dying. For those of us with pets, we know what it means.

That pink color is wild!

7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome deidre.

8. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello and welcome here ! Are you a cat lover ( I am).