Hello from the Pacific Northwest

chuckgoolsbee

Mu-43 Regular
Hello folks. I'm Chuck Goolsbee, and I live in the northwest part of Washington state in the USA. I'm up in the Cascade foothills east of Arlington. I have a G1, which I love.

I found this forum a while ago and have been lurking a bit. Finally registered and started participating this week.

I came into M43 because I do a lot of handheld shooting in… unusual situations… and need a small, lightweight rig that allows one-handed operation. I've been shooting with basic "prosumer" gear for a while, but have reached the limit with what I can do. Interchangeable lenses are what brought me to looking at DSLRs, and the small M43 form factor is what lead me to the G1.

Mostly I shoot cars. Vintage sports cars specifically and ideally, ones in motion. Like this, and this. Since buying the G1 I haven't had the chace to actually do this type of shooting yet, as I haven't attended an event that lets me do motion shooting. That will change soon though as in June I'll be at it again.

Through my vintage car photography and liveblogging that I've been publishing online for over a decade I've landed a great professional assignment: I'll be going to France early next year to cover the exploits of an Anglo-American vintage rally team in the 2011 Monte-Carlo Rallye Historique. I'll need to augment the G1 with something to capture video, so will likely be shopping the GF1 or Oly equivalents between now and January.

Some photographic background info: I've been shooting on and off since the 1980s, originally with Pentax film cameras. Professionally I work in Information technology and helped create one of the first high-volume digital photography studios in the early 90s. This was in an in-house advertising agency at a department store, The Bon Marché in Seattle. We used Leaf camera backs on Hassleblad bodies back then. I started shooting digital/handheld myself around 1999. My main camera from 2002 through last year when I bought the G1 was an Olympus C-5050Z.

I've created a gallery here of my G1 shots so far. They are not great - as I still feel like I am getting to know this camera. My old C-5050 felt like an extension of my eye & brain, and I hope to reach that level of comfort with the G1 soon. More than anything the multiple lenses are dragging out that process as each seems to have a very different personality to it. The 20mm just arrived a few weeks ago and I'm enamored! What a great lens!

I look forward to getting to know everyone here as I get to know my camera.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Chuck, welcome and thanks for your introduction, too. Vintage cars, love to look at them, especially the old British sports cars. I'll be sure to check out your gallery shortly, and look forward to your involvement on the board.:biggrin:

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hey Chuck welcome ! Nice you joined this forum. I don't have a m43 camera, but my wife does, that's why I take pictures with a G1 from her. your pics look great.

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
OOOOOOOH and AAAAAH (motion shots of great subjects). Not necessarily in that order.

Check out the GH1 with steadicam Chuck... looks pretty decent to me.

Welcome to our little nook.

Bokeh D

Latest threads

Top Bottom