1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from the Gold Coast, Australia

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by FMJunkie, May 29, 2014.

1. FMJunkie

FMJunkie Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2014
    Australia
    Hello all,

August 2013 I went to the shops to by a point and shoot camera so I could take some photos of my gorgeous dog.

The shop attendant got me all excited about the Fujifilm X10 which was more than I wanted to spend at the time not realizing the excitement
    of taking that picture you would happily call art and hang on your wall, but bought it anyway as I loved the look and feel of the camera.

It didn't take long before I was back at the shops looking at all the kinds of photography equipment I wanted. I very nearly bought a Canon 70D, but
    missed the metallic feel and size of my X10. I am now the proud owner of a E-M5 and loving it.

As Baker I generally end up being awake at night and therefore shoot at night, mostly cityscapes, and long exposures.

I haven't bought into the whole photoshop/lightroom thing yet and use Gimp. Is it worth getting this software or can I get away with just using Gimp?

Looking forward to contributing to threads, sharing, and learning as I go.

These are some of my shots so far

car2_zps48fb5367.jpg

This is a amusement ride in the city

HDRVomitron_zpsc9901213.jpg

bench_zpsc918e49a.jpg

P5020219_zps60db102d.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Hey mate, welcome to the forums! There's a decent representation of aussies in these forums. I'm from brisbane, myself.

I'm using lightroom, I find it helps to catalogue and sort out images as well as providing most of my photo editting needs. If your studying or know anyone who is, you could try get the educational discount and save a few bucks. I've never used gimp, but it's probably a good starting point. If you find the interface too clunky or isn't doing what you want it to, you could always purchase other photo editting later. Olympus also Olympus Viewer for free, however I find the interface too clunky to use.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FMJunkie

FMJunkie Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2014
    Australia
    I use oly viewer too, I find it slow but I like how it keeps bracketed shots together. Plus it's my only way of viewing raw's.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

4. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Australia
    Rob
    Yes welcome from another BrisVegan ...

5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Lightroom is pretty great, not only as an editor, but as a way to manage your library. I almost never use photoshop. You will be able to use gimp in those few cases where you would have wanted PS. Once you get LR, you can also get Nik tools fairly inexpensively (it works as a plug in). I highly recommend Nik tools and Lightroom. You can also get a free version of perfect effects 8 http://www.ononesoftware.com/free/ (I think you can actually use that one as a stand alone editor). There is nothing you can do in those that you can't do with Gimp, but its a lot faster and easier using these tools.

6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Welcome from a coastie

7. Firedogg

Firedogg Have cash, will spend

Awesome photo of the amusement ride.

• Like Like x 1