Hello from Texas

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Janis, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Janis

Janis Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    Central Texas
    I'm enjoying this forum a lot so it's time to introduce myself! We're recently retired and moved from Austin to a rural area in Central Texas. My husband I are great animal lovers and have a dog and more cats than I care to admit to. I do volunteer photography for a local shelter and it's just too tempting to do another rescue, plus we're a magnet for strays. We also enjoy bird-watching, and we can see blackbuck antelope and oryxes on our neighbor's land, so I have lots of photo opportunities. My other hobby is gardening, though it's a constant battle with the deer.

I have a D700 and love it but it's too heavy to use all the time, so I recently got an EPL-1 and love it, too. It's always with me. I love the convenience and also the art filters, esp. pinhole camera. I have the kit lens and the Lumix 20mm and would like something longer. I like Photoshop and digital art, and this camera really lends itself to that.

OK, guess I've rattled on long enough. See you around the forums!

• Like Like x 8
  2. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello Janis, welcome here from the low countries !

• Like Like x 2
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Janis, I've seen you around the forums here and am so glad you stopped in to introduce yourself. I've only been to Texas once, but it was a great time - mostly in Dripping Springs and a little time in Austin. I'd love to go back. We've got several others here from the Lone Star State who you should spot soon, if they don't find you first.

You're talking to another animal lover here...and with more cats than I care to admit to....like them all, but love my dog.:biggrin:

Looking forward to seeing more from you, Janis.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Janis

Janis Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    Central Texas
    Thank you Herman and BBW.

BBW, I used to live near Dripping Springs and my daughter went to school there. We're about 90 miles west of there now in the Hill Country. I've only been to your area once, last fall, and I loved NY and NJ! I am dying to go back. I had a chance to go to school in NYC years ago and didn't take it -- probably a mistake. Oh well!

By the way, my EPL-1 gallery is here:
    Janis Herd Photography | Taken with Olympus EPL-1

• Like Like x 2
  5. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    Greetings from Cleburne, TX. I may be moving your way soon (internal transfer with Texas Parks and Wildlife). It's much nicer. My sister lives in Austin and I'm moving my parents down there next week.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome!

• Like Like x 2
  7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Janis.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BBW

Janis, your photos on your site are really nice. I've just started looking but I started with your trip to NY/NJ. You certainly got around - out to Sleepy Hollow I see!:cool: Lovely shot of those gravestones.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Janis

Janis Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    Central Texas
    Greetings back to all you friendly people! This forum is so refreshing. Stanley, the Hill Country is great for photography!

10. Janis

Janis Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    Central Texas
    BB, thanks for looking at my galleries. I have an old friend who lives at Point Liberte, NJ, and she's a great tour guide and photographer and we packed in a lot in one week, including Cape May! I'm overwhelmed by the volume of images I have and years behind in processing and posting. I know I need Aperture or Lightroom or something more than Bridge.
    My friend has a very good travel blog -- are we allowed to post a link like that?

• Like Like x 2
  11. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Hello Janis. As Dripping Springs was mentioned, I lived in a house near the Salt Lick BBQ place near Dripping Springs for about four years. You have some really nice photographs!

• Like Like x 4
  12. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

Hi Janis and other fellow Texans! I live in Arlington (Right in the middle of Dallas and Fort Worth). Good to see some lone star shooters here.

• Like Like x 4
  13. BBW

Janis, I would think a link to your friend's travel blog in an appropriate travel related post of yours would be fine to use as a reference point, if you wanted to. Here's a link to the Site Rules and terms of service for the board https://www.mu-43.com/f68/site-rules-terms-service-286/, for reference.

Now back to your welcomes.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hello Janis, and I'm so glad you've decided to stick around :friends:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  15. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Hey franklyspeaking. I was in Arlington yesterday shopping. Fry's, Staples, Dillards, Spa Envy, Home Depot, Petco and the best of all, TGIF were on the list of places we went to.

The only bad thing about Arlington yesterday was it was hot. Real hot.

• Like Like x 2
  16. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

howdy texascbx,
    It is alway hot in July. It sounds like you were on a tactical shopping mission. I hope you survived.

Arlington is a great place to live because it's close to both Dallas and Fort Worth. It's nice because I work in Dallas but like to enjoy my weekends in Fort Worth. I just wish Arlington had some more interesting architecture or a more vibrant arts district. It would make for some better photo ops :)

Although I did go the the (albeit small) farmers market in Arlington the past few weekends and had some fun shooting. Last weekend I found a local photographer selling some prints there. I bought one, if for no other reason to just support anything that closley resembles a local art scene.

• Like Like x 2
  17. saeveritt

saeveritt Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Southern Texas
    Greetings from Corpus Christi!

18. Janis

Janis Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    Central Texas
    Great hearing from all of you -- including y'all Texans! This is the friendliest and most informative forum I've ever come across.
    Ricky, it is very cool that you're an artist as well as a photographer. Your drawings are excellent and I like your photos, too. Brian, your excellent PAD was the link that got me here in the first place. Frank, you have some great images posted here and I see we have almost the same equipment. And BB is the source of tons of useful info and great images as well!

I've had a busy weekend with my daughter being here. I used the Night Portrait Scene Mode with her at a Mexican restaurant with neon signs and was blown away by how well it works. I can't wait to play with those pics but I'm behind in a PS class at betterphoto.com, so need to do some assignment images first.

Happy shooting to all!

• Like Like x 6
  19. BBW

Many thanks Janis :cloud-9-039:, and I can't wait to see some of these night time photos, soon.