Hello from Texas

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Ropes4u, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    I had a long intro typed up by my iPad decided it wasn't useful and let me start over. So in summary I sold my film gear and bought a canon s95 for a trip to Italy. That trip and a new iPhone sparked my love for photography and I need more camera. I have been debating between a d600 and d7000 when it occurred to me I wasn't going to carry all the gear with me all day. And if I didn't carry it, it wouldn't matter what I bought.

If it matters we will be returning to Italy (Amalfi, Naples, Rome, and Milan), Garmisch Germany and lastly Faaker See Austria. When we travel we don't schedule any particular events or activities, we do carry a list of possible places to visit, but I need the ability to bring a camera with me every day.

Price always matters as I want to retire oneday and the more I save the sooner I end this working madness, but if something is required or highly useful I will budget for it.

So now I am considering the below, but I'm open to suggestions.

Only PL2 or PL3
    VL2
    Samyang 7.5 fisheye
    Panasonic 14 f2.5
    Kit lens 14-42
    Panasonic 40-200 f4-5.6
    Oly 45 f1.8

Thank you, John

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum. Either body would be a good choice, but the PL3 gives you a tilt screen and slightly faster autofocus. You might even consider the E-P3, there are some great deals out there.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Hey, John. Welcome to the forum!

You can't go wrong with any of these cameras, but if you can hold out a bit, the new Olympus E-PL5 and E-PM2 will have a decent sensor upgrade. As far as deals go, it is pretty hard to beat the Panasonic GX1 now. Camera and kit zoom for $469 right now, plus bundle rebates on other Panasonic lenses if you want.

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

WELCOME Fellow Texian

Sounds like you're getting some good advice. Personally knowing what I know now I'd forgo the 14-42 if I was in your shoes and get the 12-50.

I'd also buy everything used right off this board since you are budgeting. Save you a whole lota money. :2thumbs:

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hey Texan! :cool:

6. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    I couldnt figure out oly's naming scheme and punted with the PL2/3, can you sumarize the differences between them and the E-P3?

7. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    499 vs 100 in the kit yikes is it that much better?

8. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    Hello, to be fair I'm a transplant, but this is home for now and the last 12 years.

9. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    I think i went with the Olympus for the IBUS, originally the G3 was my pick but the lack of stabilization and the view finder sticking out of the camera turned me to the others. Is the GX1 better than the Oly's? As you can see I need help lol

10. nueces snapper

No. :biggrin:

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hey, I'm only stationed here but home is where you make it :smile:

12. nueces snapper

When I'm researching cameras I go to dpreview. Their reviews and pictures are very good. I like you am enamored of IBIS. Don't think I'll ever go the other way. Personally I think Panny made a mistake with lens stabilization. I actually like their new GH3 even though its a bit chunky but I won't buy it due to this issue. I love my monster Nikkor for wildlife and I'd be SOL with panny cameras. :smile: