1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from Tasmania!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Ted, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Hey guys, thought it was time I migrated from the general tech forum I use for photography questions and join a real one. Mu-43 seemed to make the most sense! Rather than bombard you with questions here I'll save that for the other boards and give an introduction. I'm 26, live in Tasmania (little island below mainland Australia) and I'm a university student. As a kid my dad had a big old silver SLR that only ever came out on special occasions, and I was always super excited to see it sitting on it's tripod with the big lenses. Fast forward a few years and I got my own Ricoh automatic film camera which I loved, until getting into digital at school (film and development was very expensive for a kid!). I don't for the life of me remember what I shot on, but I remember two cameras and they both took floppy disks. One looked like a squashed shoe box with a viewfinder and the other was a big square thing with an LCD screen. Eventually I got my own Kodak point and shoot, it was 2 mega-pixels and awesome compared to what I'd used at school. It wrote to an SD card! I lost interest a bit after that and got really into audio production and recording as playing music became my primary interest, but in 2010 started dating a girl who lived for taking photos. She renewed my interest and in 2011 I bought her Canon 1000D off her when she upgraded to a 5DmkII. We split up almost six months ago now, but I've retained an interest and decided it was time for a new camera. The 1000D was by no means holding me back, I'm strictly at a beginner hobbyist level, but I did want something a bit smaller, nicer to use and with weather-sealing. End result was my purchasing an Olympus E-M5 with the weather-proof 12-50mm kit lens just yesterday! So far I love it, EVF took a little bit of getting used to but losing the real image for an overlay that can show what's going to expose properly and what isn't was a welcome trade off. Focus speed and DOF also isn't quite as good, but otherwise everything on this camera smokes the Canon. Like I said, I love it! I decided to sell my entire old kit (minus the Lowepro bag) so expect some questions soon regarding new everythings from me as I need them, from an extra battery to a new tripod. Also, I promise that I usually use paragraphs :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  2. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Hi Ted

Welcome from a bit further north in the capitol, welcome to the fold, the forum has a vast depth of knowledge and a lot of threads.
    Watch out for GAS it's made worse by dedicated forums. I'm guessing you came from whingepool but maybe not :).

Personally i keep rediscovering just how good that little 12-50 can be so have fun with it whilst you learn the new camera.

Cheers
    Phil

3. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Thanks for the welcome, you guessed exactly right! I like to think I've got a little bit of resistance to GAS coming from my music background, the amount of money I spent and lost trying different versions of the same pedal is astounding, but truth is that probably just says that I'm already prone to it ;) I'm really enjoying this lens so far, especially the little macro function built in, but already liking the look of the 12mm F2. I'll definitely want something a bit faster and wider for low light and bokeh (the 12-50 seems to lack a little here) before too long..

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    G'day Ted. Loads of aussies on here, and all good folk :biggrin:

5. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    OH NO .... your already lost :)

The 17 1.8 is a good option for low light, for really good bokeh though you need to get longer not shorter, check the various image threads for some of the lens

6. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Hello from the state that keeps you alive :) Enjoy the forums.

Andrew

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If there was a bridge across that moat, I'd be over there more often, welcome.

map.

8. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Welcome Ted.

Tasmania's a bit far to pop in for a cuppa but I'm looking forward to seeing photographs of your locality. :thumbup:

9. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Then I will be sure to keep that one in mind too! I always thought bokeh came from small lenses with really low apertures, I'm already learning! This is why I need to join a forum before I start spending money. I must admit it surprised me to see that GAS is a term used in photography too, I always thought it was strictly a music nerd thing. I wonder what other communities say it?

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, I can already tell this is going to be a great learning resource. I'm looking forward to posting some pictures from around here! Never actually been out to Scottsdale though so maybe a trip will have to be in order..

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Welcome!

11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Tasmania is really, really far away from Oregon USA but I'd love to check it out someday! Looking forward to your images.