Hello from Surrey, UK

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by DeFrank, Mar 3, 2012.

1. DeFrank

DeFrank Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    Hi all!

Quick bio: grew up being photographed and photographing with the Olympus OM-2 (which we still have) until the family finally upgraded to digital with an e-510 - yes we stuck with film for a long time!

In any case I wasn't a fan of the newer camera with its size and complexities (or any SLR for that matter). M4/3 is much closer to the original cameras I know and love, and after lurking here for a month i'm looking forward to getting my own (as well as a lens addiction) very soon :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Great to see I wasn't the only new one on the forums. I had a Minolta back in the days and didn't like the clunkiness if the SLR but also wasn't pleased with the quality of the point and shoots.

If you are deciding definitely head to best buy it target where you can feel them out.

Also I used dpreview as a great research tool. They have a great comparison tool but their forums sometimes it seems get full of immature comments about which camera is better.

Good luck.
  3. fgbrault

fgbrault Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Welcome. I also recommend the reviews at DPR. I don't pay much attention to their % ratings, as what may be important to them may not be to me. However, when I read the complete reviews they are very complete and helpful.

4. DeFrank

DeFrank Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    Thank you both - I would love an E-M5 but the horrible USD to GBP price conversion as well as the fact that I am building a lens collection from scratch means i'm going to start off a little cheaper (thinking second hand) before upgrading to the top of the line.
  5. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Well you picked a great time to get into m4/3. Lots of good used cameras on the market. Especially since the announcement of the EM5. The price of EP3 cameras is coming way down (used) and will take a precipitous drop I warrant a couple weeks after folks get their hands on their new OMD cameras. :2thumbs:
  6. DeFrank

DeFrank Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    Thanks for your advice. I'll definitely be getting a 2011 Oly for the fast AF performance and stay patient for the 2012 sensor that i'm sure most of the new cameras will have. :cool:
  7. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    Welcome from Middlesex, UK. :biggrin:
  8. DeFrank

DeFrank Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    Heh, good to know there are some folks close by - I'm near Esher to be more precise. Jealous of your Oly 45mm :thumbup:
  9. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    And welcome from up the M4 in Reading. Been a good day today trying out an OM macro lens on cherry blossoms.

Lens addiction is dangerous, but fun!