1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello, from Spokane Washington

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Soarne, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Soarne

Soarne New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2012
    United States
    New member, just checking in to say hello to you all. I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but I figure that it's probably time to start contributing. :tongue:

Long time rangefinder user, making the switch to digital via micro 4/3rds. Wife bought me an E-PL1 for Christmas and I'm having a blast. Man, just blasting off as many shots as I want is great! Love the camera, love the format, but I do wish a cost effective 25mm would show up.

Thanks, for the forum!

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    great to have you here!

let's see it through the "gifted" epl1:wink:

3. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Welcome from just a tad north of you, in Vancouver, Canada.

There are quite a few members here from the Pacific Northwest.

For a cost effective 25mm, what do you think of the new Sigma 30mm f/2.8 that has been released for the m4/3 mount? It's only $200, and seems to perform decently well for that price range (apparently a bit slow to focus, but otherwise sharp).

4. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Welcome from the otherside of the mountains!

5. Soarne

Soarne New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2012
    United States
    Thank you all, for the warm welcome. I hadn't actually see the 30mm. However, I notice it's on Amazon for $199.00. I don't think I can argue with that. May have to put that one on my short list. I wonder how it compares with the Panasonic 20mm? Right now, my primary is the Panasonic 14mm and I love it.

6. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Welcome from Portland!

7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The problem with it is that it isn't an inherently useful focal length on our cameras. Zoom your lens to 30mm and walk around, seeing how enjoyable that is. Given the price and performance, it's a decent lens to have around, but it's not a walking-around lens for most people. The Sigma 19mm makes more sense, if you aren't willing to pay for the Panasonic 20mm. When you factor in that the classic 50mm angle of view is actually slighty zoomed in from normal already (given that 35mm diagonal is 43mm, it was just convention rather than any scientific reasoning), it becomes even more apparent. Our sensor diagonal is 22.5mm.

Older film cameras had 55-58mm lenses, but they often had a special feature, such as being macro-capable or having a fast aperture. Your other option is to buy yourself an older film lens. I use a Nikon 24mm, and I love the focal length. I've played with the Panasonic Leica 25mm as well, and if I had the money/was willing to spend $600 on a normal lens, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

8. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Not to detract from the poster's thread, but I disagree with it not being useful. I had the 4/3 mount Sigma 30mm and absolutely loved it as a portrait lens. I'm quite excited about the m43 version and will likely end up getting it some time soon.

See this thread for some actual hand's on reviews:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&thread=41123853

9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Let's play "spot the difference between the lenses." First, the FourThirds version:
    30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM - DC Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com
    Now, the micro 4/3 version:
    30mm F2.8 EX DN - Standard Prime Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

10. Soarne

Soarne New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2012
    United States
    That 19mm looks really tempting. People are absolutely in love with it. I'm thinking I'll need to get both, but I'd probably start with the 19mm. Am I understanding correctly that our ideal lens would be a 22.5mm, to accurately represent the sensor?

I disagree with some of the assessments of the 14mm, though. I find it a fantastic lens for its size.

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    A lens that corresponds perfectly to our diagonal would be 22.5mm, but that doesn't make it "our ideal lens." The diagonal of 35mm film is 43mm, but the normal lens for them is 50mm. APS cameras have a diagonal of 31mm, but most of the camera companies give them a 35mm normal lens. Most of the medium and large format systems do, however, have a normal that is nearly identical to the diagonal, but there are exceptions. While the lower-end Mamiya RB67 uses a 90mm (perfect) normal lens, the pro-level RZ67 uses a 110mm lens.

The 14mm is just knocked because you expect a prime lens that costs $300 to have superior performance to zoom lenses, especially kit zooms. Although, Pentax has some of the same issues with their wide-angle pancake 21mm, so I guess at a certain point, it becomes too hard to tame border performance on a lens with a shorter focal length than the register distance.