Hello from SoCal!!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by maricar, May 15, 2011.

1. maricar

maricar New to Mu-43

May 15, 2011
    South Bay SoCal
    Hello ,

I'm new to this site and currently have a Panasonic FZ28. I'm thinking of upgrading to a micro 4/3 but it's so hard to decide which camera to get. My choices are Panasonic G2, Olympus E-PL2, then Olympus E-PL1. I like the grip of the FZ and I recently held a friend's GF2 and it seemed "small", missing that grip and stability I felt when using my FZ28. I got the chance to hold the E-PL1 and G1 yesterday. I like the grip and articulating screen of the G1. And I liked that grip of the E-PL1 too. It had "more body" than the GF2.

I like taking the camera everywhere if possible to be able to take quality images. Mostly of my daughter, our dog, sunsets at the beach, family get-togethers that may be indoors in low light...

But I've been reading some blogs saying the E-PL1/2 do not produce quality images in low light and has slow speed. Thinking of getting the E-PL-1 since it's easy on the pocket at $399. But how bad is it really with low light and speed? what is "slow"?

Been going back and forth between the E-PL1 and the G2 and the E-PL2....
  2. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Greetings Maricar!

I am a relative newcomer here, as well, but can offer some thoughts.

It appears that you are looking to move up from a point and shoot. I would guess you do not have experience with interchangeable lens cameras.

I got into m43 as a move "down" from DSLR, because I wanted a smaller kit that I could carry around every day.

I bought the e-p2 (before the e-pl2 came out), and have really enjoyed it, but the slowness of the kit lens and low light performance are the biggest trade-offs I have found compared to a DSLR.

The E-P2 does not have built in flash, which I miss, so I have an external flash unit on order. I do not have experience with the flash system of the e-pl1/2, but am guessing that it is not very powerful compared to an external unit. This is another tradeoff for portability.

The advantage of the m43 systems over P&S are both a bigger sensor, thus better potential image quality, as well as the range of lens options available. You are not stuck with the slow kit lens that comes with the camera, but can explore a wide range of faster and potentially better or cheaper options.

But then you have given up the simplicity of a P&S zoom to become a camera geek like all of us here. You learn a whole new language, start seeing things differently, and dream at night about exotic camera lenses. Watch out! There goes your budget!

>edit: PS, I did not answer your question of "what is slow?" The traditional technical answer has to do with f-stop rating of a lens, because lenses with larger maximum apertures (lower f-stop number) let more light in to the film or sensor, so a faster shutter speed can be used for a given exposure situation, thus making them "faster" lenses. The other aspect of slowness is how quickly an autofocusing system will achieve the best focus in a scene. DSLR's use a different optical method of detecting proper focus compared to m43 systems, which makes them faster to achieve autofocus. It is another trade-off to have smaller and lighter gear. Many m43 kit lenses are slow in this regard, as well. But us purist geeks disdain autofocus and rave about the image quality of manual focus lenses. We all walked five miles to school barefoot in the snow uphill both ways, as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Hi Maricar ... Pasadena here.

I made basically the same move as you ... my previous camera was the FZ35, basically the same as your FZ28.

Don't have any advice for you ... I got a GH2. I was surprised that the body at least was not much larger than the FZ35. Of course, with lenses attached it's a different story (except for the 20mm pancake).
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome - lots of good advisors here.
  6. maricar

maricar New to Mu-43

May 15, 2011
    South Bay SoCal
    I ordered my G2 last night!! can't wait!!