1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from Slovakia

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by ice29, Feb 10, 2012.

1. ice29

ice29 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2012
    Europe
    Hello everybody! I have been lurking around for some weeks but decided to register since I'm going to spend much more time on this forum :smile:
    I have been shooting with Sony cameras for some years but realized that I've been taking less and less pictures in recent months.. The reason is I'm reluctant to carry a heavy bag with me every time I go for a walk or trip to the mountains etc.
    That's why I decided to sell all my gear (taking pictures is just my hobby so no concerns about slightly worse IQ or AF tracking) and switch to m4/3 with it's small bodies and lenses :smile: I have spent some time deciding between Oly vs Panasonic - E-PM1 vs E-PL2 vs G3 (not willing to spend the money on E-P3 with it's old sensor), but seems I have to visit a camera shop to try them out, internet discussion won't help with the "feeling" of the camera.. So I'm not really a m4/3 shooter yet, but that will change in a few days (at least I hope so)...
    I'm planning to get OM-D as well when the price drops here in EU, but a small cheaper camera will be a good start (and reason to start collecting lenses :smile: )

Hope this forum is at least as friendly as our Sony/Minolta one! :smile:

Vladimir from Bratislava

2. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    Welcome Vladimir!
    My Grandparents emigrated from Bratislava to the US early in the last century.
    Hoping to visit there soon.
    You have come to a good place.
    Good luck with your new camera decision.

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Vladimir.

4. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Ciao Vladimir!

Welcome to the forum and greetings from Italy!

This is a great forum to participate in. Also, BTW, you may see some good deals on used equipment what with current excitement over new models. When I got my E-PL1 I did so sight unseen, since at that time there was nowhere in Rome to see much less try them, but this site helped me the most in deciding which to order

If you decide on an Olympus model you may be able to grab a good deal like I did from the "olympus Market" shop on EBay. They are in Germany but ship all over the EU

ciao,
    Asher

5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Ahoj Vladimir!

Slovakia was my destination the first time I've ever been abroad (stayed over 2 months), and I have many fond memories of Bratislava - the old town, the train, all the public art displayed, and the castles! It was quite an adventure to ride the bus without knowing Slovak and go from Bratislava to Cerveny Kamen. :biggrin: Even now I have a lot of friends based there.

Anyway, you've found a good place to start, and as a few people said, there are lots of good deals every now and then in the Classifieds section - I myself got an E-PL2 for a very reasonable price, and it is almost new. Looking forward to your images soon!

6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

WELCOME

Nice to hear from you and that part of the world. We know so little of your country here in the US. Generally speaking. You must show us some good pictures once you get going with your new camera.

If I knew a few months ago what I know now about m4/3 (mostly learning from this forum) I would definitely have gotten a lightly used m4/3 cam from the selling page of this forum. One can't go wrong. Much easier and safer than ebay and I've bought and sold a dozen or so cameras there.

There will be a boat-load of cameras coming up for sale soon as many are jumping on the OM-D offering including myself. Me being one of them most probably with my EP-3. I always figure I'm just renting whatever camera I presently own and I sell them all. The loss in value is nothing compared to actually renting camera equipment.

Anyway. Welcome. Good to have new folks coming to the party. :smile: :thumbup: :smile: :thumbup:

7. ice29

ice29 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2012
    Europe
    Thanks everybody for pleasant welcome! I'm glad that some of you know my country and I will try to bring some nice pictures to show it to others (when I get my m43 camera :smile: )
    I will surely try to find some nice offers on this forum, I had only positive experience with buying/selling photographic things among forum members in the past. Thanks again!

8. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    welcome

9. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome!

10. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011