Hello from San Jose, CA

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by lombardispot, Sep 19, 2013.

1. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    Hi guys. I've been reading a lot of posts prior to joining. I first became aware of this forum as I've been following the EM-1 release info.

I preordered an EM-1 at our local Keeble & Schuchat camera shop in Palo Alto, CA. David Bruhn is the one that turned my eyes towards the EM-5 when I was in the store. I had my mind set on either a Leica, Fuji X100S, or a Canon 5D Mark III. After Dave listened to my photography story, he recommended the Olympus OM-D EM-5 and to wait for the next EM release.

I used to photograph weddings, portraits as a hobby, but now with kids and plenty of work to do, I plan to do photography to mainly capture those important moments and have fun.

But I dread carrying my current 1D Mark II, 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L anywhere! They are awesome, but the micro-four-thirds is definitely my current direction. I want a camera system that encourages me to carry it around.

I've got the Olympus OM-D EM-1, 17 1.8 and the 12-40 2.8 Pro all on pre-order at the moment. Soon, I will be in m4/3 heaven and may soon sell my current DSLR lenses.

I'm also eyeing the 50-200 SWD. That looks like an excellent lens to hold me over until the 40-150 2.8 is released.

Thanks everyone for your excellent posts and look foward to posting images some day!
  2. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Welcome! I'm in the Bay Area, too. Does K&S have an E-M1 demo unit? I'm closer to San Jose Camera, but they don't carry a lot of Olympus gear.
  3. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    K&S had a Olympus rep there Wednesday this week from 9-1:30. He's gone! I didn't get a chance to go in either. I talked to a lady at K&S who said that they will be getting a demo unit in the store prior to the pre-orders being filled. She didn't know exactly when that will be.

Good to know there's another m4/3 user nearby. I actually live closer to San Jose Camera too, but I work closer to K&S.
  4. solidsnake

solidsnake Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    good to see a fellow bay area colleague, i wish i was a tad closer up north too. Too bad San jose camera doesnt carry olympus anymore (per phone conversation i had when scouring around). i might be wrong tho.

Do you have any other options in the lower part of the bay?
  5. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Welcome to the forum. Another member here from San Jose. :2thumbs:
  6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Lombardispot, welcome to the forum!

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011