1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from Sabah :)

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by darosk, Apr 19, 2013.

1. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Greetings all :)

Just joined the forum for a few days, haven't posted anything yet. I shoot mostly portraits and stuff like that but I like to shoot anything I can get within working distance of ;) I used to own an E-PM1, then an E-P3, and although I only used kit lenses, I was quite impressed with the image quality. This is coming from a guy who's shot with Canon 5D's and L glass over the years.

I'm just finishing up selling the last of my Canon kit to make way for an OM-D and hopefully some sweet primes. I actually don't own any M43 kit right now, but that will be rectified in a couple of weeks.

I'm Just excited to be here, and look forward to posting and sharing in the coming weeks :)

DK

2. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Im from Sabah too. But not a pro photographer. Currently staying in USA. Do post pictures of Sabah! kinda miss that beautiful tropical island.

Welcome!

3. TDP

TDP Guest

I love Kota Kinabalu, great area. A co-worker goes there a few times a year on vacation.

4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I love KK too, that's where I'm from.

Kenny which part you from bro?

5. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    I spent most of my time in Penampang and KK. But was born in Sook, it's in the middle of Sabah, lol.

6. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Oh wow, that's really interior part :D Nice to meet you - randomly finding Sabahans here...

7. GreenGhost

GreenGhost Mu-43 Regular

Nov 30, 2012
    Melbourne
    Peter Liakopoulos
    My family and I were in KK for a week at the start of the year. Loved it so much my wife and I are going back for a week this coming new year!!

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard! :smile:

9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Thanks!

10. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

I was born in Sarawak and lived my first 9 years in Brunei
    close enough?

11. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    We're practically neighbours :D

12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Daros, welcome aboard!

Regards,

Jim

13. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Thanks Jim :)

I've had my OM-D fresh for about a week now, and I love it. Just a little info, I made a complete switch (as in I sold everything) from a Canon 5DIII (been shooting with full-frame for 5 years) with a slew of L lenses like the 85L and 135L, amongst others - so trust me when I say I know about the whole "full-frame look" and image quality ;)

After months of research, and about a week of waiting for it to ship in, I can honestly say the OM-D is meeting all my expectations and then some. I was aware of the limitations of the continuous/predictive AF - but it didn't matter to me because I shoot mainly studio portraits and slow/non-moving street photography. What I wasn't expecting to be impressed by was the 5-axis IBIS. HOT DAMN people weren't kidding when they were raving about it.

8htHKF9.

I shot this at 1/8th on the 75mm.

What. The. Hell.

I was focusing on the 'Modenas' word and it's perfectly crisp - on 150mm equivalent, in the dead of night, back lit only by a street lamp that was at least 10m/30ft away.

And speaking of that 75mm, holy **** is that a sunavabitch of a lens. It's one of the best lenses I've ever used - period, and I'm saying this as emphatically as I can. The O45 ain't no slouch either. (The P14 actually hasn't arrived yet, although it's in my signature)

Anyway, I don't know if anyone is reading this - but so far I'm not a bit remorseful in my purchase, neither the sale of my Canon gear. I don't miss that fat, heavy, black brick one bit - in fact, I've hardly thought of it at all this whole week I've had with the OM-D. I've begun sharing some samples in the image threads, and will be posting more in the coming months.

14. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Ditto dumping my Nikon DSLR's. I love my mu-43 gear and have both Panasonic and Olympus (they are complementary in several ways).

Welcome, in case I didn't get around to that before!

15. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Thanks John :)

I have been looking at a second body for event work and the occasional (once or twice a year) wedding I shoot. Not decided yet, lots of good options out there.

Just saw that ThinkTank is giving an OMD away (with kit lens and Oly12!?!). No harm in entering, but have never had any luck with these lucky draws :(

16. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Did not know that. I have a Retrospective 5 in Pinestone that I love. Quite a nice bag.