1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello, from Rochester, NY - Kodak's home

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by mattphoto, Dec 19, 2013.

1. mattphoto

mattphoto Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    New York
    Hi, I'm Matthew Conheady
    I'm a nature photographer from upstate NY. I grew up in the home of Kodak, saturated with photographers and even our public schools had a little encouragement from kodak (no shortage of photography classes--- and chemicals).

I have been lurking here for a while and love the friendly, intelligent community. I registered and began posting. I hope to contribute more.

My first camera was an Olympus. C4040
    I have been Using Olympus 4/3 cameras on all my projects. I still have my e-5, but plan on selling it soon.

Recently began m4/3 with the EM-1 (not bad so far). GM1 may make its way to my collection in February.

My most popular body of work is NYFalls.com: Upstate New York Waterfalls, Lakes, Nature... etc.
    http://nyfalls.com/
    It's me, a dedicated editor/contributor, and a few occasional contributors. Most of that content was shot with Olympus 4/3 cameras.

"New York Historic" is a side project that takes contributions. My work (maybe a quarter of the site) was done with my E-5 and a few with my EM-1.
    http://nyhistoric.com

"Scenes from a Public Market" is a collaboration with my friend (who shoots with Canon SLRs). I use a variety of 4/3 and now m4/3 cameras and lenses. It features public markets from around the worls.
    http://scenesfromapublicmarket.com

Am I a pro? Yeah... I sell photos and advertising based on my work. I have a full time job as well.

So.. what about my photography? Nature, with a lot of lakes and waterfalls, but I also travel to photograph scenes in Asia.
    Here's a page with information and a gallery http://nyfalls.com/about/team/matthew-conheady/

Also, since I'm very new to m4/3, and only have the 12-40, I would love lens recommendations based on my style. I would really appreciate that.

Here are some selections from the last several years (all 4/3 cameras). Comments and criticisms appreciated.

aug1.

jul3.

may4.

Chengdu-kitty1.

Jade-dragon-scale1.

Letchworth-fall-scene.

Lijiang-trinkets1.

Lower-Falls3.

color-window1.

shangri-la-meadow1.

shangrila4.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Welcome, Matthew! I started with, IIRC, an Olympus D4040- great quality images. Still have it, tho it's not been used in a while :)

Very nice and wide-ranging work, especially liked the one with the Maid of the Mist (or similar)- looks like a toy boat in a precarious situation :0

Rick

3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    awww NY historic doesn't have much from the ADK's. That's where I vacation too. Good site btw, I goto NY quite often. Good scouting site for sure.

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Welcome. I lived in Rochester twice. Escaped eventually, but I do appreciate the finger lakes, mountains and waterfalls more now, having lived other places since.

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Hello neighbor.

Great shots of our local natural attractions.

And, yeah, Kodak's recent history is very sad.

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard, Matthew!

Really nice photos...glad to have you with us.

Regards,

Jim

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Hello Malcolm, welcome aboard! I really enjoyed your thorough introduction. You have my instant respect! I won't be giving you any advice, but I'm looking forward to yours.

After reading your request for lens recommendations based on your style, then looking at your photos above, I wondered how would you describe your style?

8. mattphoto

mattphoto Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    New York
    Thank you.
    I'm not sure about the definition of my style. I guess I like flat shapes.