Hello from Reading, UK!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by SeaneyC, Jul 13, 2010.

1. SeaneyC

SeaneyC New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2010
    Hi everyone,

My name is Sean, and I'm a late twenties worker in the IT sector, and found this forum for advice and inspiration!

I have owned and sold quite a few digital cameras over the years, my first was the first Ixus digital from Canon, and i've been hooked ever since. I've also been through a Sigma SD9, Canon 1D, Canon 20D, loads of lenses, and due to changes in circumstances ended back up at square one again with no camera gear to my name at all.

I am going on holiday soon and thought that the Olympus Pen range looked perfect for my next foray into the camera world, and hopefully I won't be disappointed. By the looks of some of the awesome work on here, I will most definitely be the weak point of the system!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Sean, and welcome... you're in the right company to enjoy your new camera... I hope you will take a good look at the PAD project and Expressive Travel Photography forum :friends: we're enjoying a great community here!

Cheers

Brian

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2010
    Thank you for the welcome Brian, I will definitely have a look at those in a minute. I am going to Morocco at the end of August, and having looked all over the internet at the pictures of the place there was no way I was going without a decent camera!

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Sean, welcome and congratulations on making your decision to buy a great camera for your trip! Have you decided which PEN and ordered it yet?

5. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
  6. SeaneyC

SeaneyC New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2010
    Looks like the E-P1 will be getting my money, it's really the only price point I can live with at the moment in the UK, coming from massive SLRs I much prefer having the control dials, so the PL1 is out, and the P2 is just too expensive. The only problem i'm left with now is which lens combo to go with, ideally i'd have the 14-42 and the Pana 20mm, but it's just so much cheaper to go with the 14-42 and 17mm kit, but I really want that f1.7! Decisions decisions...

7. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Good choice Sean, the E-P1 is a classic camera imho.

Cheers

Brian

8. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Welcome Sean, I trust you will get yourself one of these great little cameras soon.. and the 20mm! It's a marvel.

Definitely not mate! It's guys like you that make the forum the wonderful place it is.:smile:

Cheerio,
    icon

9. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello Sean, welcome here !

10. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Hello and Welcome!

I am a recent e-p1 / 20mm user, and I cannot praise the combo highly enough.
    The E-p1 price is in freefall in the uk at the mo, as they are discontinued, and at an odd market position given the ep2 and epl1.

I have good eyesight and have used LCDs to frame all my digital photos, direct sunlight on the LCD can be a PITA, but it's never stopped me trying to shoot, I think the issue is overblown slightly. If you can live without an EVF, the e-p1 produces exactly the same images as the e-pl1 and e-p2.

My humble suggestion is to save money on the camera (ultimatly the cheap part of the system anyway) and get the best lens(es) you can - initailly the one that best suits your style. Note that the Oly Kit zoom aint bad, so if that's what you can afford, don't panic! It will still take excellent photos! For travelling, you may find a zoom more useful than the 20mm prime anyway. But you will be getting an excellent tool whichever you choose.

Best of luck

11. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    One thing to note... at 20mm, f5 the mZD 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 is pretty close to the 20mm f1.7 in terms of image quality - you're gaining that image quality throughout the aperture range and in a more compact form with the 20mm f1.7

Cheers

Brian

12. SeaneyC

SeaneyC New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2010
    Thansk for all your help guys, I finally plumped for an E-P1 with both the 14-42mm and 17mm lenses for quite a good price, when it arrives I suspect the 17mm and VF-1 will be going up on the marketplace to raise some money for a 20mm F1.7

On my 20D and my 1D my Canon 50 f1.8 was far and away my most useful lens for many situations, but I never felt it was wide enough. I think panny 20mm should be perfect, I just wish it was priced more like the Canon at about £80!!

Thanks for all the welcomes and great advice so far, I can quite see myself sticking about here :biggrin: