1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from Portland, OR

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by ghostwheel, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ghostwheel

ghostwheel New to Mu-43

Jul 27, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Greetings all!

I've been lurking on the forums for a month or two and have just recently jumped into micro 4/3s with a refurbished Panasonic G3 body and the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. I also picked up a Domke F-8 Ruggedwear for my newly growing kit and I really like it (and it doesn't seem to get much notice around here, I'll try to post some pictures of it in the near future).

I'm new to the Portland area and planning to use the camera as a chance to explore the city and practice my street photography.

Thanks for all the advice (even if you didn't know you gave it). This forum was very helpful in determining where to start and what I might be most interested in. I hope to be a regular contributor shortly.

2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Welcome.

There are more than a few Portlanders around here, including myself.

See ya around!

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Welcome, to yet another PNW :43: user! It seems like our area of the country/world is disproportionately represented here, but I'm not complaining. Portland's a fantastically photogenic city. Have fun exploring and come back and share your results.

4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Greetings! I spend half of my time in this fair city. Planning on doing a bit of street shooting today if it stops sprinkling and some tomorrow at the Oregon Brewfest. Great city for street stuff and night street opportunities. Looking forward to seeing what you get out there.

5. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    Welcome, I live in Oregon city maybe we should try for a Portlanders m 4/3 meetup and camera shoot on the streets of Portland.

6. JimmyK

JimmyK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    James Knodell
    Half-timer Portlander here (Seattlite, the other half) -- I'd be game for a meet up!

7. ghostwheel

ghostwheel New to Mu-43

Jul 27, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the welcomes and replies. Nice to know there is a good micro 4/3 contingent in Pacific NW and Portland.

A meet up sounds like it could be fun and I'd be up for that at some point.

Any recommendations on places to shoot? I have a few spots in mind but I'm open to suggestions especially since I'm new to the area.

8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Off the top of my head:

Street areas: Anywhere downtown, Pearl District, NW 23rd, areas of SE, waterfront.

Others: Pittock Mansion, Japanese Gardens, Chinese Gardens, bridge shots, Silver Falls, Columbia River areas (tons), Canon Beach, the OR coast in general, the zoo, rose garden in Washington Park.

I've done a few of the above but they are all on my list of places to go to.

9. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    Here are some shots from a walkaround the other day
    I was trying out a Soligor 28~80 zoom on my EPL-1
    Not sure if I like it it seems soft, what do you think?

umbrella3_1280x768_. church_of_elvis_1280x768_. bikes_1280x768_. annex_bar_1280x768_. cool_dude_1280x768_.

10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Welcome! We are between Oregon City and Estacada in the woods. I am not into street photography, I like nature more. For that you can pretty much drive in any direction around the Portland area and see true beauty.

11. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Ghostwheel,

Found another cool location "The Grotto" in NE (off 82nd and Sandy). Put a bunch of photos up from my trip there yesterday on my flickr. Not bad for a $4.00 elevator fee: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjB1Z8Uq

Also went to Glenhaven Park nearby for some BMX action shots: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjB1ZXaC

12. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon