Hello from Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Will Webster, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Will Webster

Will Webster New to Mu-43

Dec 2, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Hi, I'm Will from Harrisburg PA.

I've been shooting Canon APS-C bodies for some years now; Canon FD before that. Currently using a 7D for the most part, and a Rebel for backpacking.

I just got an EM5 with 12-50 (actually I'm not allowed to use it until Christmas :frown:) to replace the Rebel. I'm planning to add a fast pancake prime; leaning toward the 20/1.7 unless the 17/1.8 turns out to be at least as good - and from the reports I've read it won't be. I also got a cheap FD-m43 adapter so I can use some of that old manual glass I've been meaning to get rid of all these years.

Any suggestions for a m43 newby making the switch?

• Like Like x 1
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Welcome Will. I'm just down the road from you in Lebanon, and I also went from Canon crop shooting to m4/3s (E-M5 eventually). Mostly back to Canon again though!

I really liked the 45/1.8 on the E-M5, and the 25/1.4 as well. Depends what your priorities are of course. The 75/1.8 also appears beyond good, though I've never had the pleasure of shooting that one myself.

It's a shame the 17/1.8 doesn't appear to be a slam dunk, but I will reserve judgement on it for a bit yet. Based on what I know today I'd go with a prime line up of 14/2.5, 25/1.4 and 45/1.8.

If you really want just a small prime to start I'd suggest considering the 14/2.5 over the 20/1.7. It doesn't compromise much at all, if any, on IQ and it focuses more quickly. Maybe you have a nice 28mm FD lens you can use as well?

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The 20mm is a bargain right now in the buy/sell section of the forum. It is a pancake, unlike the 17 or 25. The slow focus is overblown unless you're trying to use it for sports. The image quality is outstanding and it's much faster than the 14.(f1.7 against f2.5) in terms of value for dollar this is a great time to grab the 20. Welcome to the forum!

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard, Will!

Glad to have you with us.

Regards,

Jim

5. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Welcome Will. Good thing you held on to your FD lenses! My favorites of those I have on m4/3 are the 24 f2.8, the 50 1.4, and the 50 3.5 macro. When using legacy lenses on my PL2, I set the camera in P mode. This way I can use the main dial for exposure comp., while of course setting the aperture on the lens. Also, remember to set the focal length of the lens in the IS menu.