1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from Oxford England

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by tbyork2012, Nov 27, 2012.

1. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    Hi,
    Only just noticed this section, having joined a week or two ago. I am truly enjoying the use of my micro 4/3rd kit, thanks to the excellent OM-D and the excellent prime lenses of this system.

My interests are portraits, and invisible spectrum photography. I've modded the E-PM1 quite a few months ago and recently the E-PL5 for full-spectrum photography. I'm hoping there will be opportunities soon to take pictures which I can post here - sadly it is extremely wet and cold in England at the moment; I've been wanting to shoot in infrared the autumn scenes in Oxford.

BTW, I have to say that this is one of the finest photographic forums around, and I particularly like the fact you can show appreciation for images which are exceptional. I hope to be able to contribute to this community as well.

Best wishes,
    Boon

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group, Boon! Look forward to seeing some of your images, especially the infrared stuff.

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard!

Photos of Oxford would be welcome, even if the weather is inclement.

(Sunny in Detroit today, about 33 degrees F., .6 C).

Regards,

Jim

4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Welcome. It's a good group of people who hang around these parts.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum - looking forward to those photos! :cool:

6. smartwombat

smartwombat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Ah, a local !
    I'm up the hill in Cowley, out of the floods.
    Do you have any good water photos yet ?

7. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Hi Boon, can I ask where did you get your IR mods done ? The only place I found in the UK would only do canikon (even though m43 is a much easier job).

8. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    Welcome from the Isle of Wight
    Regards
    Rob

9. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    I did the mod myself, as I did not fancy paying $200+ and delivery to and from USA to get this done; especially when that would cost more than the E-PM1 body. But all I did was have the Internal cut filter removed. It is not too difficult really.

The positive side of this is no glass to reduce transmission or attract dust. The negative side is that with some lenses like the Pan. 14/2.5, 12-35/2.8 you cannot reach infinity focus. Hence my main lenses for IR will be the Olympus 14-42 ii, Pan 100-300. The Olympus 40-150 ii will work with infinity focus but above 100mm focal length.

As I have modded the E-PL5, I may put up the E-PM1 for sale later on as I probably won't be using it.

This is one taken in Bury Knowles Park, Headington Oxford with E-PM1 and Oly 40-150mm lens with 850nm IR filter (with red-blue channel swap).
    8228135476_1e70821b8f_b_d.

Boon

10. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Welcome from just down the road. Some sun forecast for tomorrow I think!

11. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    And a very nice image - fascinating effect.

12. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    No, I don't fancy that either though I am even more wary of the DIY route. Has worked well for you though, nice image.

13. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    No I haven't but I might just take my E-PM1 with me tomorrow as I may have a chance to take some good images - the road from Oxford to Aylesbury passes some stretches of land which are in flood plains so will make a nice IR image; I'm sure they will be flooded.

Boon

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    You bought a brand new e-pL5 and IR-modded it! Brave, welcome to the forum.

15. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Welcome to the forum!Great shot!

16. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    It wasn't that brave. It basically has a similar setup to the E-PM1 which I had modded before. It was modded for full-spectrum, as my main interest is UV imaging.

BTW, I did not mod as most people do it. In fact that would be the way I would mod the OM-D (if and when I upgrade to the next model); I have been told that it is unsafe to mod OM-D in conventional way as its magnets are too strong.

Boon

17. kds315

kds315 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Weinheim, Germany
    Welcome Boon,

great to see you here!