Hello from outside of Philly

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Hi all,

I'm a middle aged guy who was very into photography in college and for a while after - back in the days of film and cameras that had internal light meters (usually) but everything else was manual. Zoom lenses were crap, so everything was shot with a prime and if you were lucky maybe you had a wide angle also. The bulk of my work was with a Pentax K-1000 and a 50mm prime.

I did a ton of B&W, mostly working with tri-x, and am both thrilled and a little insulted at how now you just have to push a button for that "grainy film" look. We used to kill ourselves for that - many very very long nights in the darkroom. Usually shot slides when I traveled.

Once I had kids, I got tired of spending more time documenting life rather than living it and I realized it was not practical to carry a big SLR and a child or two and get the most out of either. So I gradually migrated to P&S snapshot photography, which has gotten better and better over the years, with the change over to digital.

The kids are out of the house, the work is part time, and I've developed an interest in photography again. Particularly now that the darkroom is chemical free and lives in the same Mac that my writing studio and recording studio live in. On my desk, with plenty of bright sunshine easily available through the window. M43 seems a perfect compromise between the convenience of a P&S and the image quality of a DSLR. I'll carry one of these - I probably still wouldn't carry one of those.

Got a lot of pre-purchase info over at the DP Review site and joined the forum there. I was recently pointed to a discussion over here regarding a question I'd posted and the discussion was very in-depth and helpful. And civil! Then, browsing the site, I noted a plethora of respect and good manners and little or no "my camera's awesome, yours SUCKS" kind of stuff that is too big a part of other discussions I've seen. So I thought I'd sign up and say hello. I'll post a few shots in a while. I still have a bit of an eye, although the technical vocabulary is a WHOLE new language to me.

And, oh yeah, I'm one of the legions who now own an E-PL1. I'm not afraid to use iAuto for family snapshots and I'm not afraid to go full manual when I'm out "shooting". I'm shooting in RAW and learning how to use Aperture 3. I'm fairly amazed by what can be done without all of those chemicals and breathing warm air onto prints as you're trying to bring out a particular area of it!

I'll post some pics after a while.

-Ray

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Ray, boy can I relate to your introduction - except I'm female and I worked in color in ye olde days.:biggrin: Really glad you found your way here, and I do hope you'll find the time to both post a few photos now and again, as well as get involved in any discussions that might interest you. Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hey G'day Ray, Howdy from Australia. I'm a youngster and I really don't know much about film at all, but one good point i do know is that every image was developed. I'm a bit worried about with today's generation sticking images on a Server or hard-drive. I sure do hope we aren't going to miss a whole generation of prints if the technology changes and we cant prints JPEGs ect. I scrapbook most of my favourite ones.

Nice to hear that you have chosen m43 format to shoot ahead with new vigour. I love my GF1. iphoto has the ability to import RAW now so last night i have switched over to shooting RAW.

I'll be eagerly looking forward to seeing some of your pictures:)

Cya
icon

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Welcome, Ray. You won't find a more friendly place. When you're ready for the 'deep dive' join the Blogsphere - Picture a Day. Lots of support and feedback...

tpitch14

Mu-43 Regular
Hi. I'm in West Chester, but I didn't think that would ring a lot of bells for people outside of the area.

-Ray
Hi Ray! Right nearby you- out in Parkesburg! E-PL1 here also--welcome! :biggrin:

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
thats a pretty good summary of how far photography has come in terms of ease and usability , also with the ability to instantly review a shot you can be certain if you have the shot you wish or not , back in the old days that was only available with Polaroid proof shot, [not that i did any]

the epL1 is a cool little machine that has tons of ability and manual goodness,
with your rich background in the pre-digital days of photography, i suspect that you will enjoy using a fast old school prime or 2 on your camera,

check out the thread

"Show us what your adapted lens looks like on your camera, " along various image threads for a walk thru a land of possibility , before i came to micro 4\3 last june i had essentially given up manually focusing a camera... or wanting to , now it is how i, more often than not, take my shots ............. but AF is still important to me too.

so welcome here and post frequently, the jpeg output is amazing in the Olympus family of m4\3 cameras ............enjoy

Latest threads

Top Bottom