Hello from Ottawa Canada

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Nzsmith, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Nzsmith

Nzsmith New to Mu-43

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    Hello all.

Photography has been part of my life for more than forty years now, but I was only introduced to the micro four thirds format last summer, when I embarked on a long distance bicycle trip in the maritime provinces. It became clear that carrying a Canon 5D and lenses was just not practical. I purchased a G1 with Lumix 14-45 and 45-200 lenses and never looked back. I was so impressed with the image quality, that I seriously considered selling my Canon gear. Before I could do that though disaster struck. My whole Panasonic kit was stolen along with my 5D and 17-40 wide angle. I had a lot of Canon glass and ended up replacing my 5D with a 5Dii-- my deductible prevented me from replacing my G1 gear (sigh).
    The story has a happy ending. This week I traded all my Canon gear for an EP-2, 14-42, 14-150 and 9-18. A new chapter in my long love affair with picture taking begins!

Norm

• Like Like x 2
  2. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    Hello there. another one from ottawa.
    i was a p-s owner, and nearly bought a DSLR. i gladly waited.
    i now own gf1 and 20 mm .

3. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    I'm getting rid of my SLR too.

4. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Well then, let's get some pics happenin'! The Market, Nate's before it closes, The Hill, Chaudiere Falls, the War Museum (should look great with the 9-18).

Welcome!

Bokeh D

• Like Like x 2
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Welcome Nzsmith! That is quite a story! Great "ending" that's clearly just the beginning and Bokeh's right - let's see some of your photographs in here soon.:biggrin:

And welcome to you daimos and congrats on your GF1.

I'm looking forward to both of you becoming more involved in the discussions here on mu-43.com and seeing some of your photos, as well.:2thumbs:

P.S. qball do you hail from Ottawa and is this your "mini" intro? Glad to have you aboard, too.:wink:

6. jbart

jbart Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Ottawa
    Im also in Ottawa and really appreciate the threads and feedback on this forum.
    Like you I have switched from SLR to this new format. The only thing I miss is the lens selection that there is with canon (AF lenses).
    How do you like the 14-150 with the EP2? Is that the panasonic lens? Im still shopping for a telephoto lens but the $$ is still more than I want to pay right now. Im also worried about having to "slow" of a lens as I find even with the 14-42mm I wish I could open up in lower light situations.

7. Nzsmith

Nzsmith New to Mu-43

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    14-150

Actually jbart, my 14-150 is still on order--Vistek says end of July before it comes in. Hopefully I'll have it before my vacation time kicks in. I've played around a bit with the 9-18 though, and I can tell you that it is sharp and focuses considerably faster than the 14-42.

Norm

8. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Did all of you from Ottawa come through the shakes intact?

9. jbart

jbart Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Ottawa
    Thanks Norm. Im thinking more about the 14-150 even though the panasonic 45-200mm is now "cheaper". I like the idea of it focusing quickly. My alternative is to try find the 40-150mm with an adapter and then be able to use some of the regular 4/3 lenses in future...

10. Nzsmith

Nzsmith New to Mu-43

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    I was at work on the fourth floor when the quake began--strong enough to knock the odd thing off shelves but didn't cause much damage. We all high-tailed it out the building in any case. I've felt tremors here before, but this was the strongest by far.

11. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello Norm, welcome here !

12. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Norm - nice kit you are building.

13. jbart

jbart Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Ottawa
    Norm,
    I broke down and got the 40-150mm with adapter. very happy with it although auto focus is not as great as with SLR. Has some problems finding best focus sometimes. Great as portrait and with setting focus to the movie button sometimes.
    Do you have any adapters? I have a couple of canon FD lenses (50 1.8, 28 2.8) to try but would rather buy an adapter locally that I can try.
    Any thoughts?

14. SeaneyC

SeaneyC New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2010
    Hi Norm,

How are you finding changing from the 5 series to the Pen?

Up till recently (beginning of the year) I had a 20D with grip and before that a 1D - Do you find yourself reaching for things that aren't there or does it just feel right? I am going to buy myself an E-P1 asap anyway (Funds are not there for the E-P2!) but wondered what to expect changing from such a large SLR to these miniature beasts...

15. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany