Hello from Oregon

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by yakinsea, Feb 11, 2010.

1. yakinsea

yakinsea New to Mu-43

Feb 10, 2010
    Hello,

I am addicted to immersion into the great outdoors, both wet and dry. I especially like kayaking off Oregon's rocky coast. I'm nearing retirement from the fire service and have a latent interest in photography, especially landscapes.

The coastal region nearby is among the most beautiful anywhere, but is changing rapidly. With coastal paddlers a rare breed and with some habitat still in decent condition, I feel that I may well be one of the few individuals of the last generation to paddle here before a great reduction of wildlife and the domination of coastal development is intensified beyond reason. I want to capture beauty here in a simple manner.

I love all landscapes, though. With knee problems and a general sense of aesthetics, I want to tread lightly and am excited by the 4/3 system. I have hiked the Pacific Crest trail from Mexico to Canada and cycled from the Oregon coast to St. John's, Newfoundland in my youth. I would like to rediscover lengthy immersions into the outdoors, though hugely toned down due to wife and knees.

I plan to purchase a system in the next couple of months. I am leaning towards the Gf1 or successor, though it's a close call. Any advice on this including finding good glass or a waterproof housing/bag would be great.

Bill O'Brien

• Like Like x 2
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Bill, welcome to the forum!

I think all of the MFT cameras are a good fit for what you described, and certainly the GF1 would be a good fit. The Panasonic 14-45mm kit lens for the GF1 and G1 is a remarkably lens. I thought the review mentioned in this thread was a pretty strong endorsement of the GF1 kit for landscape photography.

3. yakinsea

yakinsea New to Mu-43

Feb 10, 2010
    Thanks, that is a powerful endorsement. I was looking at a review of that lens today, but was frustrated to find the review skipped to the camera itself. I can't believe how many reviews I have read that have the reviewer falling in love with photography all over again after using these 4/3 cameras, especially with the 1.7 20 mm pancake lens...Bill

4. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Welcome Bill

You will find this a great place with lot's of good advice with friendly people

5. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

6. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Welcome, Bill - can't wait to see the photographs you post after you decide which :43: you're going to go with.:wink:

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)