Hello, from Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by 2mnycars, Aug 26, 2012.

1. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I'm a new Oly M5 owner. I had a Sony
    NEX camera and lenses. Before that I had an assortment of G cameras, and an LX5.
    Still use a dslr.
    I am looking forward to learning more and participating in the forum.

Best
    DaveL
    Toronto

• Like Like x 1
  2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Welcome fellow Ontarian.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome, you chose an excellent camera to jump into :43:!

• Like Like x 1
  4. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Yay for Torontonians :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Go Toronto

• Like Like x 1
  6. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Toronto rocks

• Like Like x 1
  7. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Thanks all. There's quite a learning curve. I 'fess I've been overwhelmed.

This is now my every-day-carry camera. I'm not using my d300s much. I have used Nikon slr's since the F2 was first introduced. F2 and F3, and Leica systems.

I have added the Oly grip;I shall stay with the 12-50 kit lens until I learn the camera better. Bag...Billingham Hadley Pro. Maxpedition Collosus. Tenba Messenger

DaveL
    Toronto

8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum, Dave! Hope we will see some images of those cars!

• Like Like x 1
  9. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Thanks All.
    Kyle, let's see how this works. Cape Speer Newfoundland. It's the most easterly point of North America!

IMG_0726ed.

Beautiful place! Beautiful people.
    2009, October. 8,500 klicks in 6 driving days. Horrible car. Previous owner had modified the suspension. I had a shoulder injury, and didn't use my dslr much at all. Glad I had the G9. My wife is incredible. She did all the driving. Toronto to The Rock, Halifax and return. Sold the car on our return...

More Newfoundland photos here.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1dlynch/2009NewfoundlandNovaScotiaOctober

TCH=Trans Canada Highway in Newfoundland...from the passenger seat in the 996, immediately after a rain storm.

IMG_0654.JPG

DaveL

10. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Excellent shots!Welcome to the forum!Greetings from Greece!

• Like Like x 1
  11. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Welcome & beautiful pics there!

• Like Like x 1
  12. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I confess I'm having trouble getting started.
    My Oly M5 came with the kit zoom. 12-50. I like that it's sealed; feel like it is better quality than my other lens choices (Nikon d300s/grip/18-200VR/70-300VR/50-1.4) I used to be a Leica owner. (M3///M4P), and in another lifetime had a business: Photo Store--weddings, portraits, sports

I bought the Oly to have a light weight more portable system. My Nikon gear didn't fit well in sports cars footwells.

Concern? What's next? telephoto zoom, or long telephoto zoom? Interests? Birds in Flight. Dogs on the run. Kids...

Oly?
    Pany?
    Any weather/dust sealed zooms?

Good quality at a good price...I see Oly makes more than one lens, in a zoom range? How do I figure which would suit me?

The local vendor doesn't know this market. They just sell to sell.

Thanks!
    Dave

13. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I want to thank participants here. I find this to be a friendly environment, with well informed posters and mods.

Dave

14. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    Welcome to the ยต43 forum from a fellow Canuck and former Ontarian... nice car, would have been sad to see her go.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Actually that car had been tampered with by a previous owner. Pfaff Porsche was no help. Glad to see it go.
    We have a beautiful '08 4S now, and it is an incredible car. I will be sad when it goes!

They are my wife's cars; I am the navigator. Responsible for getting us lost! We have fun.

16. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    So on the weekend I took a look at the photo bags I have.
    Took the LP Classified 160AW out.
    Goal is to carry the Oly discretely, and have it with me everywhere. Oly+grip+2 lenses.

I bought the Classified at Henry's. Some troll had taken out all the partitions and just placed them within the bag. (Visions of some child labourer in a factory putting bags together quickly and well. They look so good! When I try, there are no witnesses. Not a pretty sight.)

So I have it today with my daily journal (needed for work.) My ipad. (not needed for work. carried well in this bag though) My Oly with grip on....and both lenses.

Darn it's heavy and big!

The clinker here is the ipad and the journal. Going where I go, often don't want to have that with me. (And then I wonder why I have the Oly too.)

I have David Busch's book on order. I hope to feel more comfortable with this new camera/system. And I guess I'm wondering how to carry it?

(I can see Think Tank Retro 5 comments coming. Last time I looked that bag was about $180 + 13% tax here. I didn't look long. And it won't carry an ipad.)+http://www.henrys.com/64688-THINK-TANK-RETROSPECTIVE-5-BLACK.aspx

gross price.

17. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard, DaveL!

:smile:

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  18. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Thanks Jim.
    Like Thom Hogan's comment too.

Do you miss your Nikon dslr? I still have mine...

19. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Not so much - I'm not shooting indoor sports anymore (grand kids moved out of state).

I've the battery grip which I install when the 45-200mm is attached to the EM-5, but even then it's lighter than the D300. That Nikon with grip and 70-200mm and SB-900 flash weighed about 10 pounds...did I mention I'm really old? :biggrin:

Other than sports shooting (where the Nikon paid for itself) the EM-5 has worked very, very well for me.

Also the :43: lenses, even the new 2.8 constant aperture zooms, are a welcome relief in the checkbook compared to Nikon glass :thumbup:.

Edit Check out the 14mm and 20mm pancakes and the 30mm Sigma. Not weather proofed, but nice lenses nevertheless, with prices to match.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  20. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    I miss my Nikon DSLR as well, mostly from a nostalgic point of view, having owned a Nikon since I was 14 and my Dad bought me an FM2n. I've always had a Nikon. This is the first time in 25+ years that I haven't owned a Nikon.

I won't miss the weight or the costs... although the new 2.8 lenses aren't cheap :smile:

• Like Like x 1