Hello from NYC! And a question about E-P3 accessory...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by phdezra, Dec 6, 2011.

1. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Hi all. Thirtysomething guy from New York city here.

Long time reader, finally registered here (thanks for the push, WT21). In the past, I have owned and borrowed myriad cameras from friends. These days, I mostly shoot family, friends, etc and prefer 'high quality' over simply P&S results. No need for a heavy dSLR for me though as I know it will end up staying at home.

I've got an E-P3 due to arrive tomorrow (and I also have a GX1 on pre-order which I may cancel...). My system setup plan is as follows:

• Oly E-P3
    • Oly 14-42 II R (the new kit lens)
    • Oly 45/1.8
    • Pana 25/1.4
    • Oly 17/2.8 (maybe)
    • Oly 9-18 or Pana 7-14 (maybe--preference?)

• Hot-shoe flash--maybe... recommendations?
    • Bag/case suggestion for E-P3 with one or two lenses? I do NOT want bulk, and will not carry a ton of lenses at once...
    Looking forward to learning tips and tricks on here to improve my images. Cheers.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Welcome, Ezra!

For lenses out of your list, I would stick with the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux, and Lumix 7-14 f/4. That will give you a very complete and efficient setup. The other lenses you listed would just be redundant.
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Welcome to the forum. It's a great place and much better than dpreview, IMO (more focused and helpful).
    Oly 45 and PL25 great combo to maximize quality. Not sure about 17mm f2.8 though. In my experience Panny 14 is sharper, better color, focuses faster and looks nicer. I think we're all still waiting for that great 17mm bright m43 prime. Any reason you're not considering Oly 12mm?
    Olympus FL-300R is currently the only flash designed specifically for m43 (compact and lightweight) but it's supposed to be quite powerful for its size, it can be bounced and supports wireless flash mode. Mine is on the way.
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    for someone who doesn't want bulk, you plan on having a lot of stuff...and almost all in the focal length of the kit lens. THere's nothing wrong with the Oly 17mm....it's a nice lens. But it's one more than you need (at least at the beginning). And the wide angle zoom is pretty specialized. Those that love them, swear by them, but they are difficult lenses to use really well.

95% of the time, I only have my 20mm lens on. Zooms don't move me and I just don't like carrying a bag OR switching lenses. When I think I might want more than one focal length, I usually just bring an extra body with the other lens attached. Maybe it's just me. For the cost of one of those lenses that I eliminated from your list, you could easily pick up a 1 or 2 year old second body. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your new gear and shoot LOTS!
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Hi Ezra,

Welcome to mu-43!

That's a complete gear list for sure! I agree with the others. There's a "trinity" of lenses folks talk about. From Oly, there's 12, 17 and 45. From Panny there's 14, 20, PL25 and PL45 macro. (PL=Panasonic Leica co-branded)

So, often folks talk about 12/25/45 as the fastest three. Many people just prefer the 20 with a zoom or one other fast prime. My lenses are below. I am a natural 50mm FOV shooter and the 25mm has really done it for me. If you are not sure of what you want, the 20mm is a great place to start in terms of size and quality, but I'm still a big believer in the 25 because of the faster aperture, color and quality of rendering, though it has a "rattlesnake" issue on Pen bodies (https://www.mu-43.com/f51/body-best-charms-rattlesnake-18315/). Some folks don't mind it, some do, and some even moved to Panny bodies just to use this lens!

I'm not a kit lens shooter myself, but given that you live in NYC, one of the ultra-wides is nice for about-town shooting. The 7-14 is stellar and a constant aperture, but expensive, oddly bulky (because of the front element), and doesn't take filters. The 9-18 tends to be more popular because it collapses down, takes filters, is still a good quality, and is a nice focal range for walking around town (equivalent of 18-36), so you can do city wide angle shots, and street shots.

Hope that helps! Not sure, btw, on the GX1. Lots of people who have held one, have raved about it. If you have the ability to compare the two at B&H or something, then I would consider that.

Happy shooting, and post some pics!

(p.s. in assessing lenses, check out the lens image sample archives here: https://www.mu-43.com/f80/)