1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from North Yorkshire, UK

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by JimNYUK, Feb 4, 2010.

1. JimNYUK

JimNYUK Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 4, 2010
    North Yorkshire, UK
    I am a complete newcomer to forums, in fact this is my very first post on any forum and I feel pretty sure that in the coming weeks I will make more than a few mistakes and ask some stupid questions, but heck, we all have to start somewhere.

Having purchased an E-P2 a week ago, I was browsing the web for more information and came across the mu-43 group. I am amazed at the friendliness of the members and the amount of information and help you give to each other. As a result, here I am:

My Name is Jim and I live in North Yorkshire, UK, not too far from the coast. I am recently retired and have been interested in photography most of my life but never progressed much beyond snapshots despite the Pentax SLR's and eventually Canon DSLR's. I hope to learn from forum members.

My current gear is Canon EOS5D (mk1) with various lenses and now the Olympus E-P2 with 14-42 kit lens. I also have M42 and Canon FD adaptors for the Oly which just came yesterday (I have a number of geriatric lenses and can't wait to try them out). I use Mac computers and Adobe Lightroom to keep track of my pics.

Since retiring my wife and I have taking to travelling more and spend a fair amount of time in the English Lake District and exploring Florida USA.

I have a number of hobbies and regularly switch between them so never get bored. Photography, travel and boats being the main ones (ideally sailing boats but my wife gets upset when they heel over so at present its a power boat).

Thanks for setting up such a great forum, I'm looking forward to participating and hope I can contribute something useful.

Jim.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Welcome aboard Jim.
    They call me shooter. I'm from Philly in the Colony.
    Read some post, post to some threads and post some photos in your user gallery.
    Any questions, let me know.....
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  3. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    You won't like it here - there is someone from Wigan on the Forum

Welcome - I'm from the West Riding but emigrated years ago

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome indeed Jim, I'm down in the north west of Sheffield - just on the edge of the Peak District... love the Lake District, we've had a few family holidays there.

So glad that you feel comfortable 'uncloaking' - this is the right place to do so, we're a friendly bunch!

As my friend Don said - any problems, please feel free to shout up... we're here to help :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  5. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Welcome to the group, this is a really friendly place with great information

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phil, great to chat with you earlier this evening... hope to meet up in due course!

I'll be organising a Safari Group event around Bill Gordon's visit to London in May, keep an eye out on our coordination site for that.

Cheers

Brian

7. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Thanks Brian for the advice given, much appreciated, I certainly hope to get to some events this year, I work in London so should not be a problem

8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hi Jim, and welcome. I'm a newcommer to this site myself but generally spend far too much time on other forums! :rolleyes:

You say you eventually hope to contribute something useful; you already have, by joining and introducing yourself. And don't hesitate to ask questions - there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers and none of us know everything!

Judging by your hobbies, we can expect to see plenty of pictures of boating in the Lake District and Florida! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Jim - at first I thought you were another native New Yorker by your cyber moniker!:wink: I have to say you found a great place to land because you can ask any photography related and not feel like an idiot and get helpful answers. Believe me I know because I've forgotten most of what I once knew from my film days.

As a pretty new E-P2 owner, I welcome you to a wonderful camera. Glad to hear you use a Mac:love: and read that you like Lightroom. I've been urged by not a few to go the Lightroom route.

Now if I could just move to the UK and hang out with all of you guys in Brian's Safari Group, all would be just fine.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Really who? :eek::eek:

Welcome Jim to the :43: camp, great set of people here even BillNUK okish in small doses :biggrin::tongue:

11. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    rumbled!

12. JimNYUK

JimNYUK Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 4, 2010
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Thank you all for such a warm welcome. Myself, I can't say a bad thing about Wigan folks, I've had many happy days working in the area. Nice people. Nice pier. Nice beer (from memory).
    Jim.

13. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Eeee by gum lad!

Welcome!! from a soft southener!! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I don't even know where wigin is but I love England in fact all of the UK. That is where the history began for all of Nord Amerika!! I will be back in London in May with bells on!! Oh, and welcome Jim!

15. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    bring some money - The Governments given all ours to the Bankers!

16. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Wigan a small town near Manchester Northwest of England.

Here a vid of Wigan taken a few weeks ago.

As you can see were all excited by the arrival of this new transport thingy.

******** width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/d2eXQhWXrR4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/d2eXQhWXrR4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    (I better not say anything)

or I will be in trouble (again)

but I would have said .......no I better not

18. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Go on Bill let it out lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    no I can't

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure

(you should have underlined WEEKS)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Gosh Razer that was wunnerful!! The good old days when U 'ad pounds, shillings, pence and farthings!! I still 'ave a few, shall I bring em over when I come?