Hello from Norcal/Socal

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Kevii, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Kevii

Kevii Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Irvine, Ca
    Kevin
    Hi guys, I'm a student looking to get into photography, I've never liked the bulkiness of the DSLRs and after finding out about mirrorless cameras have been looking for a good one to purchase! I used to shoot 35mm and 120mm film back in the day but that was only with fixed lens cameras and the cheap $20 holga haha.

I've decided to purchase a E-PM2 and 20mm F1.7 lens to mainly shoot at parties and low light or outdoors night time pictures. I was looking around and I'm not exactly sure on everything I need yet so help would be appreciated! (SD card yeah, Filters? Bag? etc.).

A big question is, whats the best place to purchase this camera? I think I want to avoid eBay, so I'm leaning towards Amazon or BHPhoto. I don't think there is much of a difference except at BH I can add a 40-150mm lens for $100 lol

Looking forward to learning about photography and having a great time with my new camera soon:2thumbs:

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome! B&H is a very reliable company with knowledgeable staff - if you follow the link here on the site it helps support our forum. Look around the various forums here - lots of info on bags and other accessories. :biggrin:

3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Hi Kevii, Welcome :smile:

If you are going to use the 20mm f/1.7 mainly for parties and low light shooting, better brush up on your manual focus & zone focussing techniques.

Don't get me wrong, the 20mm stays on my OM-D 90% of the time, I love it, so sharp and great clarity. But, it is known to hunt for focus in very low light conditions, so you might as well know this up front.

Edit : The 40-150mm is a very underrated lens, and a useful zoom to add to your kit for that price, pretty sharp between 60-110mm.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Kevii,

Welcome aboard!

Lots of information in the various forums. You'll find information on bags, filters, etc. in the Accessories forum.

There's a long thread on bags here:

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/bags-more-bags-593/

and many more threads if your questions aren't answered there. The "search" function works pretty well if you want specific information on, say, "Domke" or "Cokin", for example.

Regards,

Jim

5. Kevii

Kevii Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Irvine, Ca
    Kevin
    Thanks for the warm welcomes guys. Yeah I am really looking into what to buy right now especially with the prices of things new and used >_< it's really hard...

6. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Welcome to the forum!Enjoy your time in the forum!