Hello from new member

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by lucaloren, Oct 25, 2012.

1. lucaloren

lucaloren New to Mu-43

Oct 25, 2012
    West Chester, PA
    Hi all, just took the plunge to sign up on this forum. I've been a "silent" user of this forum.

I've just come back to Olympus and first timer into the micro43 system through the EM5.
    I have been shooting with the m9 over the past 2 years. Even though I've loved the Leica I have decided to sell and move away from Rangefinders and back to "SLR type" systems.

I am really enjoying the OMD.

I look forward to a productive relationship here with this community.

2. North20

North20 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    East of the Cascades, PNW
    New here as well; welcome!

While I wouldn't say it's the biggest photography forum on web, this community is one of the nicest I've stumbled upon. Especially for one that's a "gear" site :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Welcome - glad you have chosen to speak up! I've known a few M9 users who picked up E-M5s and found themselves using the Olympus more than the Leica.
  4. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Welcome to the forum!
  5. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Hi & welcome. Looking forward to your posts.
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome to the forum! We're not just a gear forum, so please post some photos. :cool:
  7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group!
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Welcome aboard. What lens(es) are you using for the OM-D? How does the OM-D compare to the M9? (I keep toying with the idea of an M9.)

9. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

The M9 is the best digital body for mounting Leica M lenses. Nothing else comes close, yet.

However, there are far better digital bodies than the M9. I use the M9, M9-P, Nikon D800 and D600. The image quality from the D800 is far better than that from the M9; the D800's dynamic range better by about 2.5 stops, and the low noise at ISO 12,800 has to be experienced to be believed. It beats the M9's noise at ISO 800. The D600 is almost as good as the D800.

The M9 continues as the Leica M-E at a lower price with just a couple of non-essential features removed. The new top model is called simply "Leica M" and has a specially designed 24 MP CMOS sensor. This should give much lower noise than the M9 at high ISOs and also allow Live View and video to be offered. The price of the new Leica M will be about the same as the M9.
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Thanks for the insight Cub.