Hello from Music City

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by bshonts, Nov 14, 2011.

1. bshonts

bshonts New to Mu-43

Nov 14, 2011
    greater Nashville area
    Hello everyone,
    Been lurking for a while while I was doing some research to get a new camera. Finally made a decision, got my camera, and here I am. :biggrin:

My first "real" camera was a 35mm Canon A1 with a big bagful of lenses and accessories. I got a good deal on it from a relative who liked to buy everything just to have it, and the equipment, while old, was in practically new condition when it fell into my hands. I think he bought every Cokin filter there was. :rofl: That was my college student gear and also helped me get hired as an assistant to a wedding photographer. (I'd rather herd wet cats with my bare hands than do weddings again, but it was a good learning experience.)

After that I wanted to get away from film and carrying a large load of gear, and after some disappointing point-n-shoots, landed on a Nikon Coolpix 8700. That kept me somewhat satisfied for several years, but I missed having more manual options and was in need of a better camera to do small studio shots for work. So I did some research, and here I am with a factory refurb Olympus E-PL2 with the 14-42mm kit lens. I've only been taking pictures with it since yesterday.

I have no studio experience but need to for work, so I've been having fun with my light tent and learning how to get good exposures and depths of field. I'm a work-from-home graphic designer and always need to take photos of miscellaneous objects for clients. I also wanted a small camera that could fit in my day bag so I could take pictures of my very quick, two year-old son.

I'm going to post a couple pictures for review, so any input is welcome!

gear:
    - Olympus E-PL2 with 14-42mm kit lens (going to get as far as I can with this before I break down and get any other lenses)
    - Manfrotto 3205GN tripod with Smith-Victor BH5 ball head

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.