Hello from Music City

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by bshonts, Nov 14, 2011.

1. bshonts

bshonts New to Mu-43

Nov 14, 2011
    greater Nashville area
    Hello everyone,
    Been lurking for a while while I was doing some research to get a new camera. Finally made a decision, got my camera, and here I am. :biggrin:

My first "real" camera was a 35mm Canon A1 with a big bagful of lenses and accessories. I got a good deal on it from a relative who liked to buy everything just to have it, and the equipment, while old, was in practically new condition when it fell into my hands. I think he bought every Cokin filter there was. :rofl: That was my college student gear and also helped me get hired as an assistant to a wedding photographer. (I'd rather herd wet cats with my bare hands than do weddings again, but it was a good learning experience.)

After that I wanted to get away from film and carrying a large load of gear, and after some disappointing point-n-shoots, landed on a Nikon Coolpix 8700. That kept me somewhat satisfied for several years, but I missed having more manual options and was in need of a better camera to do small studio shots for work. So I did some research, and here I am with a factory refurb Olympus E-PL2 with the 14-42mm kit lens. I've only been taking pictures with it since yesterday.

I have no studio experience but need to for work, so I've been having fun with my light tent and learning how to get good exposures and depths of field. I'm a work-from-home graphic designer and always need to take photos of miscellaneous objects for clients. I also wanted a small camera that could fit in my day bag so I could take pictures of my very quick, two year-old son.

I'm going to post a couple pictures for review, so any input is welcome!

- Olympus E-PL2 with 14-42mm kit lens (going to get as far as I can with this before I break down and get any other lenses)
    - Manfrotto 3205GN tripod with Smith-Victor BH5 ball head

Attached Files: