Hello from Minnesota

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by unkabin, Feb 17, 2011.

1. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Hello,

I'm just making the move to micro 4/3rds, selling my Minolta gear (7D and lenses). I'm still buying my 4/3 gear, used, and still choosing between an EP-1 and a GF1. I'm nervous about not having an SLR, but excited about the portability and the new experience.

Looking forward to getting to know the new format and the folks on the forum.

Vincent

• Like Like x 4
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Vincent hello and welcome! You should be able to buy either of those two fine cameras for very reasonable prices. Be sure to keep an eye on the Marketplace forum here, too.

I don't know how long you've been reading the forum prior to your introduction but please make yourself at home. Don't hold back on any questions regarding either camera. We've got the two dedicated forums and then we have the This or That forum for those who want to compare the two makers in one thread.

Very glad you've found your way here!:biggrin:

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Welcome fellow MNite. Having owned both, I would strongly suggest the E-p1 for its in body image stabilization - if you end up getting into older manual lenses in any way shape or form, the image stabilization will be worth its weight in gold. The e-p1 can probably found for a cheaper price as well. Good luck with your choice!

4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Vincent,

Welcome aboard! Nice to have you here, and you'll be happy here too.

This is a great board with many talented photographers, and just as many helpful and expert ยต43 users.

I have a GF1, made the move from Canon DSLRs, I haven't looked back since. I'm enjoying my new light weight kit, and the mobility it provides.

Looking forward to seeing your work.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Vincent. I've just bought a new E-P1 + 17mm +VF1 for $460. The GF1 in comparison has gone up in price since being discontinued.

6. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the welcomes. I'm still making my decision which to buy. I thought I had decided, when I found an open box GF1 with the 20mm for $615, shipping included. It arrived defective, with a vertical line running down the display. The line disappears when I'm in menus, so I think it's a problem with the sensor. Anyway, it's going back, and I'm going back to the drawing board. The price of the E-P1s are attractive, and closer to my reasonable budget. I jumped on the GF1 for that price, but I'm not finding others as cheap--I guess I know why! Based on testimonials, I'm not too worried about going wrong either way.

The hunt continues . . .

• Like Like x 1
  7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I am sorry about that bad GF1 - that was an extremely low price. Keep your eyes peeled and do check in the classifieds here, too.

Keep us posted, Vincent!

8. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England