Hello from Milano, new to m43!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by 13Promet, Dec 11, 2011.

1. 13Promet

13Promet Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2011
    Hi all,

my name is Alessandro and I'm 39 years old from Milano (Italy).
    I'm new to the m4/3 world, and by reading around the web it seemed to me that this is the most interesting forum about the subject, so I decided to sign up :smile:

Until a week ago I've been using a double set for my hobby: D300S when needing high speed, very high quality, relatively extreme lenses or shooting in dim light, and a Lumix LX-3 for general purpose and when high portability is critical.

Actually, I was very satisfied with the excellent LX-3, but since I had the last chance to sell it for a good price, I did.

So it came the time to find a substitute... a hard job! :rolleyes:
    My requirement for the smaller camera of the set is producing the highest possible image quality in a truly compact package, with decent direct hardware controls.

Therefore I was considering Fuji X10, Olympus XZ1, Canon 95, Panasonic GF1, GX1 and GF2.
    Of course not all of them in the same league as for sensors, but they are funcionally similar.
    Nex were excluded because of the lenses nearly the size of SLR ones and the lack of controls.
    The X100 would be great too, but priced well over my budget. Not to mention the Leica M9, of course :biggrin:

After weeks scanning the web for the best deals all over the world, passing by a shop 400 meters far from my home :biggrin: I've seen the GF2 offered in bundle with the 14mm pancake at only 50€ over the price of the lens alone, and I got it! :cool:
    It was not exactly what I was looking for (for the lack of direct controls), but close enough to my specs and the deal was quite good.
    Later on I will upgrade to a GX1 (which seems exactly what I'm looking for) after having used the GF2 for a couple of years (since it basically came for free because I'd get the 14mm anyway).

I'm quite pleased by the camera so far (2 days): it is really compact and joyful to use, as I've been accustomed with all of my previuos Pannies.
    The clickable thumb dial is a very functional solution.
    Even if I was quite skeptical at the beginning, I also have to admit that the touch screen implementation is quite good and doesn't make me feel too bad for the missing knobs and buttons compared to the GF1/GX1 :bravo-009:

The main flaw in handling for me is the general lack of grip on the metallic surfaces, but overall the camera feels and responds quite well.
    Autofocus in particular - compared to the LX3 (which is not fair of course!) - is astonishing :2thumbs:

My second and so far last problem is that I'm not finding a bag as I'd like it: belt fixed, vertical, with velcro or magnet closing (zippers take ages to operate in comparison) and exactly the same size of the camera (not even half an inch larger).
    I was using a leather one with such features with the LX3: the time elapsed from the decision to take the picture to the moment when it was taken was extremely short. Moreover was very convenient to carry, well protecting, nice to see and to feel.
    I'd really love to get something like that for GF2+pancake... but i can find horizontal ones only! :mad:

I can't say much about IQ because I haven't used it enough yet, but so far it seems to me a clear improvement over the LX3 (of course should be so!).
    As for the allegedly JPG too cold colours about which I've read in the reviews, I've tried shooting with cloudy WB even with sunny weather to overcome the issue.
    It seems to work fine, but I have to test it a little bit more in depth.

Now I'm looking for 1-2 additional lenses: the 20mm for sure and maybe also the Olympus 45mm.

When I'll have found out how to upload pics I will show you something from my first test run with the new little baby :smile:

Thank you
    Greetings everybody
    • Like Like x 2
  2. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Greetings Alessandro and welcome to the forum.
    I seem to remember Domke having a small bag but I doubt it is small enough to only fit the GF2 and lens and I think it was also horizontal! Good luck with the search.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 13Promet

13Promet Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2011
    Re-hi everybody,

being on an unexpected trip to Thailand, where camera stuff is much cheaper than at home, I couldn't resist to upgrade to the GX1 and 14-42PZ :rolleyes:

Please find attached some samples from it :smile:

Attached Files:

4. PickleB

PickleB Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    UK - J6 on the M25
    Welcome Alessandro ... it seems you're quite taken with μ4/3! I like your shots from Thailand. BobG
    • Like Like x 1
  5. fredmad

fredmad Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2011
    Oklahoma City/USA
    Hello Alessandro,

I have a Lowpro ILC Classic 50 case and it may be what you are looking for. With the Pan20 on my E-PL2 the camera fits snuggly with its back against the back of the case, true holster-style. With the longer Oly45 attached the camera fits snuggly sideways which is a little more awkward for the quick-draw but you get used to it. It has a velcro and a clip fastener. It has a shoulder strap and a belt attachment. I think I picked it up for $25US on Amazon and I've been really happy with it.

best wishes,
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Excellent shots, Alessandro! The 14mm is a great lens and makes a very nice combo with the GF2.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 13Promet

13Promet Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2011
    Thanks a lot, Jonathan!
    In the meanwhile I've actually got a Lowepro Apex 100 AW, which is quite close in size to the one you're suggesting.
    But it is closed by bloody zippers :mad:

I'll go looking for it in the stores for a tryout to check out whether the Classic 50 is any better.

Anyway, I'm really missing the perfect combination of size, protection, ease of action, feel and look which I was having with the vertical, leather-made kind of case for the LX3.

I really whish something like this to be on the market for m4/3s as well... :smile:

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX

I travel to Milan/Piacenza a few times a year for work
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    • Like Like x 1
  10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Welcome. I'm also from Milan.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Welcome and hi from Rome... Although I am actually in Rimini right now

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
    • Like Like x 1
  12. skywarrior

skywarrior New to Mu-43

Jan 25, 2012
    Savannah, GA
    That's an absolutely incredible body of work! I would suggest eliminating duplicates and organizing along subject or country lines, though. Otherwise, just incredible. Thanks.