Hello from Midlothian, Virginia

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Narnian, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Just bought myself a Lumix GF1 with the kit 14-45 lens and 45-200 lens and am looking forward to using it.

I used to be deep into photography over 25 years ago (medium format mostly with my favorite a Horseman 985). I also bought and sold camera equipment and have owned most brands at one time or another. But 25 years ago I sold my darkroom for a newfangled computer that changed my life and career. Since then I have mostly shot snapshots using several Pentax bodies and eventually a Lumix superzoom. But now that the kids are grown I want to get back into more serious shooting and on the 35mm side I liked small cameras (hence Pentax). The GF1 reminds me of my old Minolta CLe for some reason. And I have always like Leica designed glass.

My only complaints so far:

1. Why does it have a 52mm filter thread while I am well stocked in 49mm?
    2. I wish the the 7-14mm didn't cost so much.

Surprises:

1. Works well with my old Sunpack flash (surprised the Sunpack works after almost 10+ years of disuse).
    2. How well it works one-handed.

Plans:

1. Get the 20/1.7
    2. Get adapters for my 300mm mirror and 500mm for wildlife
    3. Save pennies for the 7-14mm zoom

I like what I have seen from rummaging around in the forum and hope to become an active participant.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Welcome to the land of mu-43.com, Narnian! I got a real kick out of your first complaint in particular.:biggrin:

Congratulations upon your GF1, and I'll be looking forward to your involvement across the forums - and to your photos, too. Glad to have you here!

• Like Like x 2
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Narnian.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The new Pentax DSLRs use 52mm as the default for some reason - it was actually a factor (albeit small) in my decision making process. My Pentax lenses from 24mm to the 80-200 zoom all use 49mm filters. My other lenses have a diverse filter sizes up to 72mm but I have few up to that range.

When I used to use field and large format cameras I had those Tiffin gel filters - always fun to put on 35mm.

It falls under annoyance :wink:

Luckily I will not need them as much in the digital environment but there are a few I still would like to use.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Thank you! I have made a few friends from Australia on other forums.

6. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Well, welcome to a fellow Midlothianer! I had no idea that there was another Midlothian outside Scotland. I'm also trying to work out how to afford the 7-14. Nikon to go Nikon not to go....

David

7. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
  8. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Welcome!

Just so you're warned in advance, the 20mm has a filter size of 46mm. So everything you have is halfway between the two.

9. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Ah, but I have a 49mm->46mm step down ring! ;)

Step-up rings are rare and sometimes cause vignetting. I have a couple but I forget what size they are.

Though apart from a polarizing filter I can probably recreate 90%+ of what I used filters for in the camera and software.

10. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello and welcome here ! I like your avatar cause I'm a cat lover.

11. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    She was a tiger cub born to a white tiger at the National Zoo in Washington, DC. "Ralph" was named after the director of the Smithsonian (Before she was sexed). She was a normal orange/yellow color.

The pic was taken with a Canon FTb back in 1972 or 1973.

12. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Ahh, yes, I already have step-up rings as I bought my filters in 52mm even though the pancake is 46mm. I knew that I'd be getting other lenses.