1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from Maryland

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by GregU, Jan 17, 2011.

1. GregU

GregU Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Hello. I just recently purchased an E-PL1 to get into the digital photography hobby. When I put away my SLR camera and bought a Fuji F31fd I never got around to learning all of the capabilities it had. It was all "point and shoot" for a few years.

Now I have an even more capable camera, and I'm looking to move beyond documenting the children growing up to being a bit more artistic. I've been lurking for a few weeks and based on many comments I purchased a Panasonic 20mm to go with the kit 14-40mm and 40-150mm lenses.

So, I should probably add a quick "thanks" for all of the posts I've read over the past few weeks.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome aboard! Hope to see some of your work in the very near future..

Cheers, alan

• Like Like x 2
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Greg - you have a great little kit there.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Welcome! I get up that way on occasion to visit my sister in Severna Park.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome Greg, and Hello from Scotland. Glad you chose to join us. That's a great camera you've got there, and I wish you lots of fun in the using of it :smile:

All the best,

Colin

• Like Like x 2
  6. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Welcome, Greg. You are going to love that 20mm lens on the EPL-1!

• Like Like x 2
  7. GregU

GregU Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I sure hope so! It should arrive tomorrow and on Thursday we are off to Orlando for a long weekend at the house of the giant mouse. I should have plenty of opportunity to break in the new kit.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Hi Greg, welcome. It's nice to greet someone from the same neck of the woods. I'm up in Westminster, not all that far from Annapolis. The 20mm is a nice lens. I have it on my Gf1 and love it.

9. GregU

GregU Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I can now say I have it on my E-PL1 and I love it, too!

10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

GregU, I was just down in Annapolis, what a wonderful place to live! I'm very jealous. Glad to have you aboard!

Promise to post some photographs after you return from your Orlando vacation.:2thumbs:

11. navyasw02

navyasw02 New to Mu-43

Dec 2, 2010
    It's nice until the winter, then the wind coming off the Severn is bone chilling cold. I spent the pleasure of living there for four years.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    My friends just came back from there (house sat for em).

welcome fellow MD'er

13. GregU

GregU Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Trust me, the wind coming down the Severn is nothing to the wind off the lake in Chicago. -18 (F) without windchill is something I don't wish to experience on a regular basis.

I tell the following story often. In Chicago I rode the "El" (elevated/subway train) from my house in the north part of the city into the loop (downtown). The Red Line ran 2 blocks from my house, and I could always get a seat and take it into the loop. Then I'd have a 3/4 mile walk across town to my office. The alternative was to transfer from the Red Line to the Brown Line. That meant standing for the last 15 minutes of the ride, but I only had a 2 block walk to the office. So, when it wasn't "too cold" I'd keep my seat on the Red Line and walk the extra 10ish minutes. The dividing line was 20 degrees. Here in Annapolis, it almost never gets that cold.

14. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Welcome Greg!
    You're in one of my favorite places to go for great pictures in the spring! I'm down in Fredericksburg, VA and my family and I like to make regular trips to Annapolis and always bring the cameras!
    And yes, you'll LOVE the 20mm!

Cheers-
    Jeremy