Hello from Mars!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by shawngibson, Aug 18, 2010.

1. shawngibson

shawngibson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    Just found this area:) I've posted a few times, but am new. I bought an E-P2 recently (kit zoom) and have the 50/2 on order. I see so many lenses I want, and the EVF.

I've been around since the early days of photo dot net, first camera was, uh, FG-20? I think that's what it was called. Started processing all my own prints and negs since I had access to Hart House, darkroom at school.

Got technically crazy, ended up souping Tech-Pan in PMK Pyro @ ISO 6 (not kidding, and no tripod back then...weren't a lot of keepers lol), became a resolution freak, and eventually ended up with a Pentax 67 (souping TP in PMK still lol), which I hated. Big camera for such a small guy. I still want a 1 pound/tiny P67 with in body IS...can't be that hard, NASA!

Got into lighting. Got into theory.

Got into coffee, crack and heroin so my shots suffered for a while. OK just kidding about the coffee part!

Got into Photoshop from the very beginning (I actually was honoured to be in a couple editions of one Katrin Eismann's books).

I've always mostly shot people, portraits of women mostly, but nowadays I'm a crusty curmudgeon so I am more interested in trying to figure out landscapes, which I've never really done but after all those years with Adams' trilogy, I figure it's about time:) And beautiful women are weirdos for the most part now lol. OK that was a rant, and not always true:)

Mostly bought the PEN so I can ride around on my bike and snap the roadside attractions (I don't mean roadkill!..although...hummm...) while tripling the speed limit occasionally:).

That's me, and if anyone can hook me up with a good cleaner, I'd appreciate it. Mine got pregnant (not by me!). Geesh!

edit: kit lens pic, far from perfect, from my recent trip, a shot just of Bobcaygeon Road (which turns out not to be in Bobcaygeon lol. It's it's where my uncle Bob killed my Great Grandmother with a pitchfork before she was pregnant with my Gramma...(?):

2. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    lol ... I mean this in the kindest way, you sound a little bit fruit-looped but that's ok, you'll fit nicely into mu-43 ... martians are always welcome! At least your purchase of the p2 demonstrates you have some lucid moments, and your pic shows you have talent! Look forward to seeing more of your madness/pics around the forums.
  3. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Mars looks damned much the same as Nagoya in Japan!!!
    - Maybe only the people are different there...
  4. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    I am a bit loopy. Blame Hegel and James Joyce. And no I donèt do drugs, was just a joke.

Not so sure about the talent yet though...not in this realm anyways. I took a LOT of pics over the last two days, landscapes, and all I saw was that much was out of focus...at f11...16 etc. I am thinking real landscapes where EVERYTHING is in focus are going to be a challenge but I guess that has always been the case. F64 and a tripod!!! lol...

5. Blu-by-u

Blu-by-u Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Welcome Martian.
  6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Shawn - are you shooting landscapes in Manual or Aperture priority? Try some in Program mode or even iAuto to see what decisions the camera makes.
  7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Giday Mate. Nice to have a bloke from Mars, never seen one before. You haven't got green skin aye?

Tripling the speed limit. Gee, mustn't have many crushers round your part of the world.

Is that the house where your Grandma lived? At least she's fertilised the soil judging by the grass. Sounds like ya uncle Bob was a wild character, you would have by any chance inheretied anything from 'im aye? :smile:

One thing we don't have in common is that coffee stuff. Geez it tastes like something chronic, I say.

But apart from that we'll be still friends
    Catch ya 'round
  8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Now that'd be something to look into.
  9. Auntiepode

Auntiepode Mu-43 Regular

First principle of inventing - never let family play with your time machine.
  10. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Very funny :)

No, in all honesty that cabin was just something I spotted, no connection with it...

I don't often triple the speed limit, but once in a while it's definitely fun in the twisties in the middle of nowhere to have a bit of fun. I don't do it often though, or in residential areas...most of the time I just putt around looking for shots to take...hard to stop and take the pic if you're going too fast lol...

Hi Bill, thanks:) I shot in Manual, I always do unless I'm in varying light conditions in which case I set my aperture and let the camera do the dirty work:)

I'm glad you got the joke:) I was just being silly:)

Thanks for the welcome guys, in spite of my silliness:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Howdy from planet earth, Shawn. Looking forward to more of your photographs be they from Mars or some other galaxy.:wink:
  12. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks BB! I'm actually from Toronto...it's that little blob in the NW hemisphere of Mars, very humid and full of these strange, bean-shaped Tim Hortons phenomena, as we call them up here:)

Na noo na noo:)
    • Like Like x 1