Hello from Kent, UK

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by David Gethin, Dec 2, 2012.

1. David Gethin

David Gethin New to Mu-43

Dec 2, 2012
    Having suffered a break in motivation in shooting and a crisis of conscience as to which system to go forward with, I am strongly considering staying within the Olympus fold and downsizing from my current E-30 to the OM-D E-M5.

I yearn to have the shallow DOF of FF but don't fancy lugging around the weight of the camera and similar glass to my current 12-60 f/2.8-4.0 and 50-200 f/2.8-3.5. So I think the mu-43 may still be the way forward given the selection of fast glass available compared with other mirrorless systems, particularly if mated with the fixed aperture Panasonic zoom lenses that have come out.

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Welcome aboard, David!

Lots of information on the forum about moving from a DSLR kit to :43:. :thumbup:

3. fuziduck

fuziduck New to Mu-43

Oct 24, 2012
    Nice to see another Kent member. Where abouts are you from? I'm from the Maidstone area.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome to the forum - lots of good info here! :smile:
  5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Hi David, sorry to hear about your problem with motivation, you have always been so prolific and imaginative. Thought we hadn't seen you for a while on the UK E-System User Group.

The E-M5 is a super camera and scores heavily (or should that be lightly?) in the size and weight department. General IQ and in particular dynamic range and high ISO has increased in leaps and bounds from the old E-System DSLRs. The only thing it's not too hot on is CAF for subjects such as birds in flight.

The large aperture primes for :43:, whilst not quite rivalling full frame for shallow DOF, do a pretty decent job at isolating the subject. I've just got to save up for some!
  6. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Welcome to the forum!