1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from Kansas

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Duke Mac, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Duke Mac

Duke Mac Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2011
    Hello,
    This is a great website. I enjoy reading the discussions and learning.
    I was into photography when I was younger and as I get older I want to return to it. I am still saving up for a M4/3 camera.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome

Glad to have you with us. You can check out the items for sale here by members and get some great deals on :43: equipment. That's how I got my E-P1. Enjoy the site!:biggrin:

3. Duke Mac

Duke Mac Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2011
    I have been thing that it might be easier to buy something used
    and concentrate on taking pictures and learning. And then buying the latest and greatest when I could afford down the road. And to be honest
    both the Pen and Lumix cameras look great.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I find the Olympus cameras to be fun because the in body image stabilization makes using legacy/adapted lenses so easy. You can pick up lenses and adapters relatively inexpensively - I have a nice variety of Oly primes that I couldn't have afforded in autofocus lenses. I have both an E-P1 and an E-PL1, I find that I prefer the E-P1 even though it lacks a flash or the ability to use the electronic viewfinder. The IBIS makes it possible to shoot in relatively low light situations with great success. I added a Delkin pop-up hood that lets me see the LCD in bright sun. The EVF is so expensive that I seriously doubt I will ever buy one, but I don't miss it in the least.

5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Welcome to the forum. Panasonics better, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

6. Duke Mac

Duke Mac Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2011
    I think the new Lumix G3 is a great camera. But the Olympus Pens take great Pictures too.
    In fact I am an old Olympus guy. I have an OM-2n since 1980. I have not used it in a long time. It needs new foam seals and a CLA and I have several lenses for that could be used with an adapter.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It's pretty amazing how nicely the old lenses work with the adapter. I find myself using the 50mm 1.8 a great deal. Very sharp and fast. The more I use manual focus the easier it becomes. The IBIS can be set to the specific focal length - a big bonus, at least for me.

8. Duke Mac

Duke Mac Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2011
    Yes I have the OM 50 1.8 myself and a Vivitar 24.2.8 (It was affordable).
    Back in those days I had a Tokina 35 to 105 zoom I used a lot.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have a Sigma 24mm f2.8 macro - it's a bit larger than the 50mm, but produces great close-up shots.:smile:

10. Duke Mac

Duke Mac Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2011
    Yeah I really liked the 24mm lens. The new Olympus 12mm M4/3 lens
    sure looks great if one can afford it.