1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hello from Indiana

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by travisennis, Jan 4, 2011.

1. travisennis

travisennis Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    Hello to all. I'm new to forum. Well, to be honest, I've been lurking since around Thanksgiving when I started researching for a new camera and finally decided on a GF-1 that I got with the 20mm pancake, but this is my first time posting. I haven't had a chance to really use the camera in anger yet, but it saw a good amount of use during the holidays for general snapshots and I've really enjoyed using it so far.

I don't have a lot eperience with photography. My first stint with it came about 6 or 7 years ago when I bought a film Canon Rebel that I enjoyed using but that I didn't use much as I just never seemed to carry it around with me. I then bought an Olympus Stylus with the fixed 35mm lens that was incredibly sharp and that I carried with me everywhere. Not long after that I bought a Yashica GSN that I loved. I took some pictures with that camera that I still like, which is saying something since I am a harsh critic of my own pictures.

However, I eventually fell away from the habit. I went back to grad school, got married, and had kids which resulted in a lack of time and money to devote to photography. Now five years later I'm taking up the habit again. The GF-1 seemed closest to my old Yashica. I think it is although there does seem to be something missing, but I'll leave that for another forum post.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Travisennis, congratulations on your GF1 and that 20mm lens - and most importantly for getting back into photography!

Looking forward to seeing some of your pictures very soon.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  4. travisennis

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to sharing some pictures and learning from the experience of the members of this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello and welcome Travis from The Netherlands !

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome and Hello from Scotland. I have a GF1 too, and would be interested in hearing what you think about it.

All the best,

Colin

7. travisennis

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks for the welcome Herman and Colin. As for your question, Colin, I have to say I really love the GF-1. It's compact, but not too small. Yet, it has good amount of heft and feels solid in my hands. The controls and the interface were the biggest surprise. I had read that is where many thought the Panasonic excelled over the Olympus cameras, but in actual use the operation of the camera is even more intuitive than I expected. I'm still learning exactly how I would like the camera set up and I've yet to do much in terms of customization, but only having had the camera since around Christmas I can already operate it without glancing at what I'm doing too much.

The 20mm lens is outstanding. It's sharp and fast and I haven't yet used the flash, which is exactly what I was hoping for when I bought it. I like to manually focus lenses and I would say in that is the only thing that I've been a bit disappointed about; manual focus on the lens feels abstract and detached. It's doesn't have that tactile quality that I was hoping for, but the AF is fast and sure and I can't complain especially when using spot focusing.

Since I've acquired it, I've bought some accessories for it. I bought the LVF and for the purposes that I bought it for, using it in bright light or just shooting from eye-level, it has met my expectations. I'm already feeling the gear lust to buy more lenses but I keep telling myself to hold off. We will see how long that lasts. :) 

8. 'tis the same with all m4/3 and 4/3 lenses I'm afraid. Olympus has innovated a lot of great things but fly-by-wire manual focus perhaps wasn't their finest idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.