Hello from Finland!

Jali

Mu-43 Regular
Hello to everyone!

My name is Ville and I'm from Finland. I'm 28 years old. My hobby at the moment is working out at the gym and some other sports also. Recently I decided to add photography also because I really like to travel and being outdoors.

I'm quite new to photography and totally new to proper cameras. I started taking more pictures in the second half of 2016 when I was an exchange student in Lisbon, and in our little group we had few photography students and they got me interested. Since then I have been just taking pictures with my phone. There was not really room in my student budget for a camera. Now I'm finally working full time and could afford to buy one.

I wanted to buy a camera for a long time so I had some time to think what I wanted from it. It had to be light weight so I can carry it with me all the time. That was actually my biggest reason to turn in to mirrorless cameras. First I was looking at Sony a6000 and I was actually going to buy it. But when I tested it at the store it felt really odd in my hand. Just couldn't get something that feels weird already by holding it for one minute. My friend suggested Panasonic and Olympus. I chose Olympus for IS and the feeling of it my hand.

So I bought my Olympus om-d e-m10 mark 2 a bit over a month ago. With it I got the 14-42mm ez pancake lens. After that I got small Think tank bag for it. And I really need to buy some bigger messenger bag already, just don't know which. We also had some discounts local store so I bought Panasonic 20mm lens and Panasonic 35-100mm cheap zoom lens. And lastly I added Peak design wrist wrap and Manfrotto befree tripod. That's pretty much my kit at the moment. I have always been a total gearhead for everything that I start doing so I really have to keep myself from buying anything stupid :biggrin: I will add small question at the end regarding gear if someone reads that far.

Little bit about the pictures I like to take. As I mentioned I like to be outdoor so I like to take lots of nature and city pictures. Good sunset pictures are my absolute favourite. Not really interested in sports photography or portraits. Before I bought my camera I thought that I need a really wide angle lens for landscapes and pretty much everything. Now that I have been taking pictures I seem to like more longer focal lengths. Hardly never go below 20mm. Tho wider would be nice for a good sunset photo just in case and bigger views in the city. I don't have lots of spots for good sunsets in my city which is a shame.

Still learning and most of the pictures I take are just some practice shots and not something I would keep. I have just now been editing my photos with my phone but I've been thinking of getting adobe subscription. I already use photoshop in my work so I know the basics. Just need to learn lightroom and keep learning photoshop more. And maybe that way I would have more pictures that I like to keep.

And now lastly some gear questions. Still can't decide between primes and zoom. I have my 20mm prime but I still tend to lean more towards my kit zoom because of flexibility. Two different options I have been thinking are either getting two more primes (Oly 12mm and Oly 45mm) or just getting the 12-40mm 2.8 zoom that everyone recommends. Olympus zoom is 580 euros on discount at the moment and two primes would be 865 euros. That really makes me lean more towards that zoom.

Also a question to prime users. Do you find it a hassle that you need to find to find lenses more often? I like to try different focal lengths in the same spot so I would have to change lenses a lot. And If I'm hiking and it would be really time consuming to change lenses every 10 meters .

And question for zoom users. Do you ever find 12-40mm too big to carry? That's my biggest concern. Tho in the other hand I carry in my work sometimes huge Canon camera and pro 24-70 2.8 lens so that Olympus set is still really tiny compared to it.

Zoom lens would be more suitable for travelling because then I wouldn't have to bring that many lenses. Has anyone been battling with the same thoughts? Also I know that at this moment my gear is by no ways limiting my photography. Maybe only in a way that I can't get wide enough aperture sometimes with my kit zoom.

I hope this was't too long or hard to read. I'm already thankful for overyone from the content in this forum and the things I have learned in these 2 weeks that I have been reading stuff from here.

Cheers!

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think, if you're looking for a lens for hiking I would get either a set of UW+Telezoom (O9-18mm and O40-150). That would be a cheap way to get most of what you could need. When doing landscape work you rarely need a fast aperture, so faster aperture zooms seem less useful. Another option (if you want supreme image quality) is getting the O12-100 PRO. It's obviously a bit bigger, but it will do anything you may ever need to do on a single hike (except UWA). Keep in mind that the PRO Zoom is more expensive than both of the cheaper lenses I mentioned combined, so this also depends on your budget.

Regarding size: I carry two zooms of a similar size to the 12-40 when hiking, and I've yet to find an issue with that. I can really recommend the Cosyspeed waist bags for hiking because they fit underneath a Backpack and the camera will be accessible without taking of your hiking pack.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Welcome to the forum

For walking I would get a zoom for maximum flexibility. Two very popular ones are the Olympus 12-40 2.8 Pro and the Panasonic 14-140 zoom.
The 12-40 F2.8 is the better zoom for sure, but the 14-140 gives you a bit of a chance for wildlife.

If funds are available the Olympus 12-100 Pro would be the best bet, lets you focus very close as well.

To be honest the only way a 12-40mm would be too big to carry would be if you had a serious medical problem, or very short on space.
I remember in my younger days when I went mountaineering I wanted a camera that would fit in a pocket for climbing shots so we used the little Rollie cameras for that. But that sort of thing is normally out of scope for these discussions.

Jali

Mu-43 Regular
I think, if you're looking for a lens for hiking I would get either a set of UW+Telezoom (O9-18mm and O40-150). That would be a cheap way to get most of what you could need. When doing landscape work you rarely need a fast aperture, so faster aperture zooms seem less useful. Another option (if you want supreme image quality) is getting the O12-100 PRO. It's obviously a bit bigger, but it will do anything you may ever need to do on a single hike (except UWA). Keep in mind that the PRO Zoom is more expensive than both of the cheaper lenses I mentioned combined, so this also depends on your budget.

Regarding size: I carry two zooms of a similar size to the 12-40 when hiking, and I've yet to find an issue with that. I can really recommend the Cosyspeed waist bags for hiking because they fit underneath a Backpack and the camera will be accessible without taking of your hiking pack.
Thank you for commenting! I think that at this moment I'm mostly looking something that is all around good for most situations. Hiking was one of the examples because I like to do that during the summer. That's why I was thinking that either 3 primes or one zoom would be great for that. For telephoto I already have Panasonic 35-100mm and I was actually really thinking about getting O9-18m. But now that I have been taking more pictures and I have gone through lots and lots of landscape and nature pictures in Flickr, it seems that most of the ones I like are not lower than 12mm. Unfortunately that O12-100mm lens is more than I'm comfortable to pay for a lens at this point.

Okay that's good to know. So maybe it would be completely tolerable for me to carry O12-40mm zoom with me. And now that I'm looking into it more it's not actually super big. Not any bigger than a beer can :biggrin: I will check out that Cosyspeed waist bag. Sounds good at least.

Welcome to the forum

For walking I would get a zoom for maximum flexibility. Two very popular ones are the Olympus 12-40 2.8 Pro and the Panasonic 14-140 zoom.
The 12-40 F2.8 is the better zoom for sure, but the 14-140 gives you a bit of a chance for wildlife.

If funds are available the Olympus 12-100 Pro would be the best bet, lets you focus very close as well.

To be honest the only way a 12-40mm would be too big to carry would be if you had a serious medical problem, or very short on space.
I remember in my younger days when I went mountaineering I wanted a camera that would fit in a pocket for climbing shots so we used the little Rollie cameras for that. But that sort of thing is normally out of scope for these discussions.
Thank you! Yes as I mentioned above I think that what I'm looking most at this point is exactly a lens for walking around and taking pictures. Either in the city or in the nature. So the 12-40mm sounds perfect for that at least to me.

Olympus 12-100 Pro is at least at this point over the price range what I'm looking for. Actually even those O12mm and O45 primes are over that also at this point but I could buy them separately. What I've read from the internet everyone who has bought 12-40mm are happy with that.

No medical problems here so it should be fine :D And I have almost always backpack or at least some kind of bag with me so maybe it's not an issue.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you already have the P35-100 (I am assuming the cheaper slow one) than adding the O12-40 seems like a know brainer for walk around stuff.

Jali

Mu-43 Regular
If you already have the P35-100 (I am assuming the cheaper slow one) than adding the O12-40 seems like a know brainer for walk around stuff.
Yes I have the cheaper version of P35-100mm. Those two would make a great travel set. Maybe take also P20mm for low light and bokeh stuff.

Another lens that complements the P35-100 is the P12-32/3.5-5.6, with those 2 lenses you have a very small and nice kit.
I was thinking it, and it would be smaller than O12-40mm too. But I have the Olympus kit lens already and that one is really close to it.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
If you want something really wide and fun, the Samyang 7.5/3.5 fish-eye is well thought of, it is manual but for a fish-eye that does not really matter.
In Sweden you can get it for 2600 SEK, prices in Finland should be similar although in €.

Schwert

Mu-43 Regular
I think you have made a great start.

Personally I prefer zooms for a hiking lens and the 12-40 2.8 is an exceptional choice. Along with the 35-100 you have a good range for a walk. I love having my 40-150 2.8 plus 1.4x converter on a walk where animals may present photo opportunities.

I would just start hiking and shooting and see what works, where you find gaps in your lens capabilites will show up over time.

I commend you for the very informative opening post, details like that make recommendations and discussion much easier.

Jali

Mu-43 Regular
If you want something really wide and fun, the Samyang 7.5/3.5 fish-eye is well thought of, it is manual but for a fish-eye that does not really matter.
In Sweden you can get it for 2600 SEK, prices in Finland should be similar although in €.
I've seen some videos about it and seen some pictures taken with it and it indeed seems fun. I will keep than in mind and see later if I feel like I'm in need of a wide angle. Another option would be also Laowa 7,5mm.

I think you have made a great start.

Personally I prefer zooms for a hiking lens and the 12-40 2.8 is an exceptional choice. Along with the 35-100 you have a good range for a walk. I love having my 40-150 2.8 plus 1.4x converter on a walk where animals may present photo opportunities.

I would just start hiking and shooting and see what works, where you find gaps in your lens capabilites will show up over time.

I commend you for the very informative opening post, details like that make recommendations and discussion much easier.
I think that with those two zooms only thing that I will be missing for myself is going to be bokeh in certain shots. I could always add later O45mm lens for that since it's less than 200 euros.

I think that I will order O12-40mm now and then I'm pretty much set with my gear for a while. Just need to add larger bag and I have been thinking about getting Peak design longer strap. I prefer wrist strap, but it would be handy to be able to carry camera on my shoulder sometimes too.

Schwert

Mu-43 Regular
For hiking take a look at the Mindshift packs...Horizon is my favorite. The waistpack rotation feature makes walking and lens changing easy.

Jali

Mu-43 Regular
Just made an order for O12-40mm! :dance2: I was hesitating a bit because it's a lot of money, but I got it at the same price as people are selling those here second hand so even if I regret it at some point I will get my money back. Tho I'm quite sure that I'm going to keep it because it seems like an awesome lens.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Olympus 12-100 Pro is at least at this point over the price range what I'm looking for. Actually even those O12mm and O45 primes are over that also at this point but I could buy them separately. What I've read from the internet everyone who has bought 12-40mm are happy with that.
The only reason I don't own the 12-100 is it is to expensive for me at this time. I also own the 14-140 from Panasonic. It is not as sharp and I really do miss the faster F Stop but I use this lens a lot. But it needs good light to get the best results where the Olympus 12-40 holds it's own better in low light.

Looks like you are off to a good start.

Welcome to the forum. The 12-40 is a great choice, and my favorite lens for hiking. I think you'll find it to be excellent. Paired with the 35-100 you already have a great landscape kit. Looking forward to seeing your photos

Jali

Mu-43 Regular
The only reason I don't own the 12-100 is it is to expensive for me at this time. I also own the 14-140 from Panasonic. It is not as sharp and I really do miss the faster F Stop but I use this lens a lot. But it needs good light to get the best results where the Olympus 12-40 holds it's own better in low light.

Looks like you are off to a good start.
That Panasonic 14-140 sounds like a good focal length for travelling.

F2.8 will be a huge upgrade for me after my kit lens. Don't need to raise ISO that high so often.

Welcome to the forum. The 12-40 is a great choice, and my favorite lens for hiking. I think you'll find it to be excellent. Paired with the 35-100 you already have a great landscape kit. Looking forward to seeing your photos
Thank you!
I'm really looking forward into getting it.

I will start adding pictures here as soon as I get that Adobe subscription to my personal computer also. I'll try to get it this week.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Another Finn! We're slowly taking over this place... :biggrin: Anyway, welcome!

Primes? A hassle? Yes. That's why I own ~dozen of lenses and the zooms are the ones I keep coming back to. My 60mm is pretty much the only prime I use and the keyword for using it is macro. I bought the spectacular 75mm lens maybe 6 months ago and the number of images I've taken with it is close to dozen or two. Which is sad really...

12-40mm too big? After using my Lumix GX850 with the tiny 12-32mm my E-M5 + 12-40mm may feel a bit big'n'heavy but as I take the first shot with the combo again the feeling is gone. And if it still feels big just think about the IQ it delivers and then the size/weight is all forgotten. :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom