Hello from England

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Gupster, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Gupster

Gupster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Mark
    Hi Everyone

I've just purchased my first M43 camera, a Lumix G5 with kit lens. It's going to be used as my holiday/day out camera in an attempt to save my back from imploding as a result of carrying a bag full of DSLR stuff.

The plan is the Nikon stuff will remain my go to gear for work & photography trips but having played with the G5 for a week or so I've a feeling it'll start moving into the Nikons territory pretty rapidly. It's such a capable camera

I'm just researching wide angle lenses for architecture (work) and landscapes (pleasure) which I think I've narrowed down to the Panasonic 7-14 or Olympus 9-18 - I just need to get my hands on one.

The only other thing I need are filters. Although my Lee SW150 kit is technically compatible with the G5 can you imagine how ridiculous it'd look..........................actually, I might try that in a minute :idea:
    So it looks like I'll have to invest in their Sev5n kit for the sake of portability, unless anyone has any better ideas????

Ideas are one of the reasons I've joined your forum. Having been a lurker for some time I know you guys have a wealth of combined knowledge, and hopefully, one day, I'll be able to help out along the way.

Cheers

Mark

2. Teefin1

Teefin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    Hi Mark!

Welcome to the Board.

I have no advice re lenses for your specific purposes but thought I would say hello from another part of the UK.

I am originally from North London but now live near Norwich.

:)

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Welcome - I hope you enjoy the G5 (although if you need pushing over the edge to dump your Nikon gear, then you should trade up to one of the Oly OM-D bodies or the GH3)!

There are endless debates on the 7-14 vs 9-18 choice. I had both for about 6 months (since I decided there was so much contrary opinion I needed to decide for myself) - and ended up keeping the 9-18. These are my reasons:

- The 7-14 produces bad flare artefacts on the recent Oly cameras (OM-D range, E -PL5 etc) and on the GH3 - basically those cameras reported to have Sony sensors. It can be minimised by appropriate choice of framing and by using a rear mounted UV gel filter, but TBH, neither are totally satisfactory.

- The 7-14 can't take filters - unless you use some fancy hood-mounted holder (like the Lee stuff in fact). I use ND filters with WA lenses a lot, so it was all a faff with the 7-14. The 9-18 OTOH had a standard 52mm filter mount.

- The 7-14 is quite a big bigger than the 9-18. Compared to, say, a Canon 16-35, it's still tiny of course, but lens compactness is what really sets u43 apart from the big and heavy FF stuff I used to have and the 9-18 is a marvel of the art with its collapsible design.

- The 9-18 sharpness is very good - not quite as good as the 7-14, but within a hair's breath and certainly no worse than the Canon 17-40L I used to have - and that's good enough.

- If I want to wider than 9mm, I have a Samyang 7.5 fisheye which is just a superb lens.

YMMV of course (as our American cousins would say), but that's what I decided. I still think the 7-14 is a great lens, but just not for me at the moment.

Regarding filters, I have a Cokin system. I've thought if getting the Lee stuff from tine to time, but the cost never seems justified. If you have the Lee stuff, I'd just use it. So what if it's a tad incongruous on the G5! It's the results that matter.

4. Gupster

Gupster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Mark
    Thanks for the welcome chaps.

Teefin-1, You move from the city to the country and me from the country to the city (ish). I'm originally from Somerset. Photographically the move was a bad decision(Surrey isn't great for landscapes) but luckily my family still all live down there so I get there as often as I can.

Paul, I think it'll be a long time before I can bring myself to offload the Nikon stuff but if I did it'd be for the OMD or maybe even the X-Pro1.

Thanks for your views regarding the lenses. You've pretty much backed up what my research had suggested but the fact you've owned both and opted for the Oly lens is very interesting.

The size thing is an important consideration - it's the whole reason I went for an M43 system.The filter mount is also pushing me toward the Oly. I had to change my whole Lee 100mm system for the SW150 when I got my 14-24mm and to cut a very long story short it was a pain in the neck, particularly when I wanted to use a 10 stop filter. Light leak was a major issue (but now solved).

The extra 2mm at the wide end would be handy but Oly plus the 7.5mm Samyang is still less than the 7-14mm and price is always important!

I bet that 7.5mm is fun to use!

Thanks again

Mark

5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Hello from Wales.

Hi Mark and welcome.

One of the better photographic sites, very friendly and polite bunch.

With regard to the 7-14, its the dogs wotzits of a lens but costs 2 arms and 2 legs.........£850'ish

I found I only ever used it at the 7 end and sold it on.

Later I replaced it with a 7.5 Samyang....this is a fun-fun-fun lens, and if the images are defished the result is pretty much the same as one would have got with a 7-14, at the 7 end.....and it's only about £230

For interest........

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=16458
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=55309

Dave

6. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Welcome, Mark -
    I sold my APS-C gear and haven't missed it; the E-M5 is so small and capable. And the m43 lenses I have are small and excellent.

7. Gupster

Gupster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Mark
    Thank you for the welcome Dave & Ron.

Dave, are you the Dave from Talk Photography, also known as Dave in Wales? We haven't spoken directly but I recognise your name and avatar. I've been a member of TP for 3 years and although I'm on the site virtually everyday I don't post as much as I should. I am one of the judges on the TP POTY though so I contribute in my own little way!

Cheers chaps

Mark

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard, Mark, from the other side of the pond!

Regards,

Jim

9. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Mark,

Welcome from N Devon. It seems as though it is too late to suggest you 'lose' your credit cards :smile:

Geoff

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum! You might give the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye a try - an amazing and fun lens at a great price.

11. Gupster

Gupster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Mark
    Thanks guys.

Geoff, yep far too late. Where abouts are you in Devon?

Bob & Jim, thanks for the welcome from the USA. It's one of our favourite places to visit. We even got married there! We try to explore a bit of your country every 2 years or so. You've got some of the planets most awe inspiring landscapes. Last November we spent 2 weeks driving around between Phoenix and San Diego. Enroute we stayed for a few days in Page, AZ. What a place! That's some landscape they've got there!

We're hoping to come back to the US next year, hopefully to visit some of the North West this time.

Cheers

Mark