1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from Dublin, Ireland!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Lumixy, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hello,

Joined up here last night after I was recommended this site. New to micro four thirds. I have had two Canon DSLRs previously and I have bought a Panasonic G10 recently with 14-42 kit lens. Very happy with my new purchase :2thumbs:

I bought a secondhand 45-200 MEGA O.I.S LENS yesterday.

I want to buy the Lumix 20mm f1.7. It's a lens I have seen a lot of great reviews on. Hopefully I will pick up one soon. I want something for portraits and street photography. It's a lens I would use often.

I still shoot mostly in P Mode :rolleyes: but would love to try out an adapted lens. I am aware of the crop factor issues with adapted SLR lenses. There is a great choice out there and I am currently trying to find a lens that would be a good focal length and aperature. Something similar to the 20mm f1.7...

I don't have the money right now to buy a 20mm f1.7 (not even secondhand!) so I might try out an adapted lens. Currently checking out the rest of the forum for ideas. I think a 50mm prime would be too much for me.

I have my eyes on a Fujinon-TV 12.5mm f1.4 but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :cool:

Lumixy

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hi Lumixy and welcome to micro 4/3.

3. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Welcome Lumixy :friends:
    The 20mm is a gem, you won't regret getting it. Another option is the new Olympus 45mm

4. mikematzdorff

mikematzdorff New to Mu-43

Dec 21, 2010
    southern california
    Welcome! and agreed, the 20/1.7 is a gem. It lives on my GH2 80% of the time.

If you're going to try an adapted "normal" lens...

most of the available wide angles are pretty slow, however a reasonably fast 35mm/2 lens can be gotten cheaply and I have a Nikon 35/2 non-ai which renders beautiful images and only requires a few steps backward from a subject to be "normal"

I got the lens for $89 USD and an adapter for about the same. I had other Nikon lenses and bought a nice adapter, there are cheaper available.

ALSO, I got my 20mm on discount, it was a demo lens. It shipped in new condition.

Good luck

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Love Dublin!

Welcome from Boston, MA.

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum!

I think the 20mm f1.7 is great! You could also keep an eye open for a Panasonic 14mm pre-owned, maybe someone selling out of a kit. Check out some of the image threads around here...

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Welcome Lumixy,

The 20mm is a great lens for what you want and is superb for street (it is my prime lens for street on my GF1 - small and discrete).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    ^ agreed, the 20mm is my favorite lens ever! OH and welcome.

6047869480_fa8c6067ef.

9. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Wow!! Thank you very much folks for the warm welcome and advice!!

Thank you Hanzo. Not too sure about the Olympus 45mm… Think I will just go ahead with the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 since everyone says it’s such a fantastic little lens.

@ Mikematzdorff: I might put on hold getting a lens that I can adapt until I do some more research and see what type of lenses people on here go for. Thanks for the advice. I’ll still keep my eyes peeled for any 35/2 non-ai Nikons :tongue:

Cheers WT21! Hopefully at some stage I will get to visit beautiful Boston!!:cool:

@Krugorg: Mmmmh… I didn’t put too much thought into the 14mm Panasonic. Something to think about. Thank you.

Hi Iansky. Nice pictures. Really really like the first one. Well done ;) Thanks for sharing :2thumbs: The GF1 did appeal to me initially but opted for the G10 as I got it at a good price. Might get a GF1 in the future though. A lot of people on here use them and I seen one earlier that was taped up for street photography and I thought I want one! :eek:

@KVG: Nice picture. Will hopefully be getting a tattoo done shortly. Must take the opportunity to take a few pictures too!