1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hello from Dublin, Ireland!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Lumixy, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hello,

Joined up here last night after I was recommended this site. New to micro four thirds. I have had two Canon DSLRs previously and I have bought a Panasonic G10 recently with 14-42 kit lens. Very happy with my new purchase :2thumbs:

I bought a secondhand 45-200 MEGA O.I.S LENS yesterday.

I want to buy the Lumix 20mm f1.7. It's a lens I have seen a lot of great reviews on. Hopefully I will pick up one soon. I want something for portraits and street photography. It's a lens I would use often.

I still shoot mostly in P Mode :rolleyes:  but would love to try out an adapted lens. I am aware of the crop factor issues with adapted SLR lenses. There is a great choice out there and I am currently trying to find a lens that would be a good focal length and aperature. Something similar to the 20mm f1.7...

I don't have the money right now to buy a 20mm f1.7 (not even secondhand!) so I might try out an adapted lens. Currently checking out the rest of the forum for ideas. I think a 50mm prime would be too much for me.

I have my eyes on a Fujinon-TV 12.5mm f1.4 but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :cool: 

Lumixy

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hi Lumixy and welcome to micro 4/3.

3. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Welcome Lumixy :friends:
    The 20mm is a gem, you won't regret getting it. Another option is the new Olympus 45mm

4. mikematzdorff

mikematzdorff New to Mu-43

Dec 21, 2010
    southern california
    Welcome! and agreed, the 20/1.7 is a gem. It lives on my GH2 80% of the time.

If you're going to try an adapted "normal" lens...

most of the available wide angles are pretty slow, however a reasonably fast 35mm/2 lens can be gotten cheaply and I have a Nikon 35/2 non-ai which renders beautiful images and only requires a few steps backward from a subject to be "normal"

I got the lens for $89 USD and an adapter for about the same. I had other Nikon lenses and bought a nice adapter, there are cheaper available.

ALSO, I got my 20mm on discount, it was a demo lens. It shipped in new condition.

Good luck

5. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Love Dublin!

Welcome from Boston, MA.

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum!

I think the 20mm f1.7 is great! You could also keep an eye open for a Panasonic 14mm pre-owned, maybe someone selling out of a kit. Check out some of the image threads around here...

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Welcome Lumixy,

The 20mm is a great lens for what you want and is superb for street (it is my prime lens for street on my GF1 - small and discrete).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    ^ agreed, the 20mm is my favorite lens ever! OH and welcome.

6047869480_fa8c6067ef.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

9. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Wow!! Thank you very much folks for the warm welcome and advice!!

Thank you Hanzo. Not too sure about the Olympus 45mm… Think I will just go ahead with the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 since everyone says it’s such a fantastic little lens.

@ Mikematzdorff: I might put on hold getting a lens that I can adapt until I do some more research and see what type of lenses people on here go for. Thanks for the advice. I’ll still keep my eyes peeled for any 35/2 non-ai Nikons :tongue:

Cheers WT21! Hopefully at some stage I will get to visit beautiful Boston!!:cool: 

@Krugorg: Mmmmh… I didn’t put too much thought into the 14mm Panasonic. Something to think about. Thank you.

Hi Iansky. Nice pictures. Really really like the first one. Well done ;)  Thanks for sharing :2thumbs: The GF1 did appeal to me initially but opted for the G10 as I got it at a good price. Might get a GF1 in the future though. A lot of people on here use them and I seen one earlier that was taped up for street photography and I thought I want one! :eek: 

@KVG: Nice picture. Will hopefully be getting a tattoo done shortly. Must take the opportunity to take a few pictures too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.