Hello from Detroit

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by RonSmith, Apr 9, 2010.

1. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    Hello everyone. My name is Ron and I just discovered this forum. I have been involved in photography since the early 1970s. I used to do a lot of B&W with Leicas ... which I still have, but got started shooting digital about six years ago and haven't done much film work since.

I still use my Canon gear (currently a 40D and a 20D backup), but have relegated it mostly to sports and birds since discovering the world of :43:.

I bought a G1 last May and a GF1 in October. I have the 14-45, the 20/1.7 and the magnificent Pan-Leica 25/1.4. I also have adapters with which I use my arsenal of Leica M lenses, Nikon F lenses and even my Canon EOS (albeit at full aperture). I also recently acquired an Olympus Pen 40/1.4 and adapter.

What brought me to :43: was the incredible flexibility of the system, allowing me to use my beloved Leica lenses again. I found that carrying around the G1 or the GF1 is so similar to the days when I used to carry a Leica rangefinder with me everywhere. I love the reduced size, weight and obtrusiveness of the :43: system, and have been able to get pictures that would simply be impracticable with my Canon gear.

Below is a shot I did of my G1 and Leica lenses. More of my pictures can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronssmith/sets/.

3590457361_ca8938a3d1_b.

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Ron and very glad you found mu-43.com! I think you'll enjoy the site and the discussions, too. Please make yourself at home.:thumbup:

3. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Welcome Ron. You'll like it here. Great shot of your gear. Enjoy!

4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the closest i got to loving rangefinder lenses in the past was my beloved contax g1 with 45 f2 and 90 2.8 lenses, but now i have lots of rangefinder glass , but none of the great leica stuff yet , thanks to the ep-1 and the gf1 im addicted to manual focus and fast sharp and small rangefinder lenses ,

micro 4\3 is amazing

5. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Ron, thanks for joining us !

6. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Welcome!