1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from Columbia, MD

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by swampduck, Apr 2, 2013.

1. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Hello all, new member here. Looking around here has gotten my shutterbug going again. I stopped shooting seriously after my daughter was born...two kids = no energy. But now they are a bit older I am longing for the thrill of the hunt again.

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Welcome to the club Swampduck! I am in Frederick, MD but used to work in Columbia and travel close to it each day I drive to another client's place of business.

Have you found the rookery inside the southbound ramp at 175 and 29? Since your username has the word "swamp" in it, it would be right down your alley! :smile:

3. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I have not, from the location description I am assuming it is a water collection spot?

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I guess you could call it that. It is now city property as I understand it and there is rumor of some (unwanted) development of the land there. There is a creek running through there, and the very tall trees in the area host some half dozen GBH nests.

I'll PM with you with more info later today.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Hi Swampduck! I know how you feel about kids, they definitely soak up a lot of time and energy (and money) -- not that I'm complaining. Glad to hear that the forum has reinvigorated you. Are you new to :43: altogether, or did you just put down your camera when the kids came along?

If you're looking for a challenge to get you out shooting, several of us have a thread where we're trying to post a picture a day through Memorial Day. I've found that's a good way to get myself out and shooting more. Please feel free to join in if you feel so inclined.

6. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I am new to m4/3, but not to photography. I picked up the format looking for something less clunky to haul around than my Canon DSLR and big lenses..I will check out the thread and start posting some stuff. I am anxiously awaiting my 40-150, should be here today.

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome, SwampDuck!

You'll like that new lens, I think.

Regards,

Jim

8. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Hey Slot,

I found the Rookery on Sunday. There was three nests but they were back deep and up high so there was alot of trees in the way. And the 40-150 was no match for the distance either. I wish I had longer glass, but oh well, it was cool to see.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard! :smile: