Hello from Columbia, MD

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Randmness, May 12, 2012.

1. Randmness

Randmness New to Mu-43

May 12, 2012
    Hello All,
    I just recently purchased an Olympus E-P3 w/ the included 14-42 IIR kit lens. This is my first mFT camera (owned an E-600 before.) I think I debated long on the EP3 vs the OMD (did the same debate when the E5 was released.) I'm more of a hobbyist, but I enjoy the utility and size of the mFT/FT-line of cameras, so I opted for the EP3. I have kinda lurked around this forum for a while....figured I should go ahead and join.

My only real question:
    With my E600, my favorite lens was the amazing Zuiko 50mm f/2. Is there a mFT equivalent? I have been searching through the forum, and the Oly 45mm sounds really popular.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The Oly 45/1.8 is optically fantastic, is lighter, and focuses faster than the ZD 50 macro. However, the Oly 45 is no macro (not even close). There isn't yet a lens which is really the equivalent of the ZD 50 macro.
  3. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA

If you want macro, then the closest equivalent is the Leica/Panny 45mm f2.8 macro. The Oly 45 is a great portrait lens, but not macro. Of course, you can always use an MMF-2 adapter and use your 50mm, as well.

You can see all the 4/3 m4/3 lenses at Four Thirds | Special Contents | Matching Simulation

PS... What Amin said!
  4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Oly has a 60 macro "coming soon" so if you can hold out, I'd wait. But if you know you want small, then you might as well skip it. It's a pretty big lens, heh

And hello fellow MD'er =)
  5. Randmness

Randmness New to Mu-43

May 12, 2012
    Thanks for the tips guys.

I really like the EP3 (haven't gotten a chance to really shoot with it though.) I really like the style of the entire thing, with the feel of metal. Initially when I started looking for a new Oly, I glanced at the EPL1 (going for cheap now), but the EPL2 looked great (built-in flash.) Then I read the EPM1 was even better, and figured why not just go for EP3 (bought refurb kit from Cameta for under $550.) I think the only feature I really miss, is the articulating screen of my E600 (sold it.)

I'm curious to see how well the EP3 holds up to my E600. From my understanding, the sensor is the same, but the engine is improved (not sure about the autofocus.) I think my next lens will either be the Panny 20mm, or the Oly 45mm. Now I just gotta decide on which one is better.